Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TuscaroraBorealis  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2015 9:50:54 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Does anyone have any first hand recommendations for a light weight reflector oven?  If so, what were some of the attributes of said oven that convinced you to purchase it?  What type of things have you successfully cooked/baked in it?

Thanks for all replys!

Sponsor
waytogooutfitters  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 2:29:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yes, A good friend of mine in the Chicago area makes them, and I have been using them for over 10 years. They are called "Reflecto" and he sells them on Amazon. He has 2 different sizes--one small and compact, and one bigger, but also compact. We regularly use both sizes on BW canoe trips. Both fold flat and fit right down the front of your food pack. They are top quality and the best I have ever seen. If you have any trouble finding them, let me know and I will get you his phone number. Thanks. Jeff Hway @ Way To Go Outfitters, Ely area 218-365-4726
thanks 2 users thanked waytogooutfitters for this useful post.
TuscaroraBorealis on 8/24/2015(UTC), Mnyoyo on 3/9/2024(UTC)
BillConner  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2015 6:45:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Thanks waytogo! A new one on me. Will have to compare to the Svante Freden but this looks pretty good.
Will  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2016 6:54:46 PM(UTC)

I know this is an old thread...  I bought a small reflector oven a couple years ago from Old Scout Outdoor Products, http://www.oldscoutoutdoorproducts.com/.   Its is small and deconstructs flat.  An 8X8 baking pan fits the shelf easily.  Cleans off with very little scrubbing too.  We have made biscuits, cinnamon rolls, corn bread, mexican bread, and several other flavored breads.  We haven't gotten into desserts yet.  Definitely adds to the meals with warm fresh bread.   Generally one person in our group is tasked with "bread duty," keeping the small side fire consistent, and rotating the pan.  Very happy with it!

TuscaroraBorealis  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 2, 2016 9:24:55 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Will Go to Quoted Post
<p>I know this is an old thread...&nbsp; I bought a small reflector oven a couple years ago from Old Scout Outdoor Products,&nbsp;<a href="http://www.oldscoutoutdoorproducts.com/">http://www.oldscoutoutdoorproducts.com/.</a>&nbsp;&nbsp; Its is small and deconstructs flat.&nbsp; An 8X8 baking pan fits the shelf easily.&nbsp; Cleans off with very little scrubbing too.&nbsp; We have made biscuits, cinnamon rolls, corn bread,&nbsp;mexican bread, and several other flavored breads.&nbsp; We haven&#39;t gotten into desserts yet.&nbsp; Definitely adds to the meals with warm fresh bread.&nbsp;&nbsp; Generally one person in our group is tasked with &quot;bread duty,&quot; keeping the small side fire consistent, and rotating the pan.&nbsp; Very happy with it!</p>

Thanks for the reply.

That's actually the brand we went with. So far, (one trip) we are extremely satisfied.