Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gymcoachdon  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:16:48 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I have secured my permit for EP33 Sep 5th, and working on different options using the awesome map functions on this site. Currently, I am saving each day separately. Is there a way to make day by day breaks, and still have trip totals? I hope this question isn't too confusing, it would be nice to have a complete route, and be able to see mileage and time estimates for each day of the trip individually.
Thanks, Don
Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:57:07 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Currently, no, but it is definitely something I've thought about doing. I can think of a couple of ways to do it:

• Add a "day marker" that you can use to specify where the day ends
  • Have a route for each day that you just add to a list that is then totaled

The "day marker" method might be best since it would allow you to easily adjust where the day ends. However, it might be more confusing trying to use it and not as easy for me to implement.

The list method is similar to something I've thought about doing - a "route comparison" table where you add the route to a list that shows basic stats for each route and allows you to switch easily between the different routes. The advantage of this is it would be easy to implement and use. The disadvantage is it would not be easy to change where the "breaks" are.

I think I'll go with the first option... but feel free to chime in with your thoughts. How do you envision something like this working? What would be the easiest way to say where the breaks are?

gymcoachdon  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:34:22 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Thanks for the quick response.  Currently I am doing it similar to your 2nd option, list type, so that would certainly work.  Instead of me adding up the days separately, there could be another box that shows a running total.  However, changing the ending point of one day would then necessitate changing the starting point of the next day as well.  My initial thought was that there should be a day break option when choosing a campsite as a waypoint.  I am sure that would be much more difficult to implement.

My situation is that my brothers and I are taking my Father, who will be 76 at the time of the trip, for his first canoe trip.  Trying to find a route with reasonable distances daily, easier portages, keeping a manageable total distance, and determining how many layover days versus travelling.  This site already does a great job for this task, I posted thinking that there was probably a button I hadn't found to mark the days of the trip.

Thanks again,

Don

Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 12:04:24 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: gymcoachdon Go to Quoted Post
However, changing the ending point of one day would then necessitate changing the starting point of the next day as well.

This is why I ultimately want to put in the "break" option - so you don't have to change the starting/ending points all the time. I've thought about it before because it is definitely something I would use, too. Not sure when I'll have time to look at it or how long it will take, but I'll shoot for this weekend.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
gymcoachdon on 1/28/2016(UTC)
gymcoachdon  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 12:08:02 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Better hurry, we leave for MN Sept 3rd!  

Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 31, 2016 6:39:53 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I finished it. To use it, you can either:

• Switch to route mode and select the type of route point in the lower left corner
  • Use the right-click menu and select the type of point

After calculating a route with more than one segment/day, a table will appear in the lower right corner of the screen. It will have the stats for each segment. Hovering over (or tapping if on a touch screen) will highlight the segment.

This new feature, of course, is only helpful for paid memberships since the free memberships will never have more than one segment.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
gymcoachdon on 2/1/2016(UTC)
gymcoachdon  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2016 10:47:02 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Ben, thank you so much for this tweak to the mapping program.  I have been using it quite a bit, and it works great!

userid333  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:13:10 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

This feature is hugely valuable. Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply