Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BigJilm  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 12:37:18 PM(UTC)

Howdy, I have never entered Quetico at Prairie Portage, can someone tell me where the ranger station is for check-in?  When looking at a map (fisher), I see "Canadian Ranger Cabin" in a couple different locations.  One is on Basswood, east of the falls, in Ranger Bay.  The other one is on Basswood again, east of Washington Island and south of Canadian Point.  The second referenced site (east of Washington Island) also says "Canadian Customs" right below the "Canadian Ranger Cabin" spot. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:13:44 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

It is on the east end of Basswood between Basswood and Sucker lakes. Here is the map. Usually you get to it by entering on Moose Lake and either paddling up to the station or getting a tow from an outfitter.

BigJilm  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:14:16 PM(UTC)

Thank you, Ben!  As a general question, do you know if any of the outfitters are able to tow on Basswood (not sure if motors are even allowed)?  If so, any idea as to how far they will go?

I have been to Cache Bay and they will only tow you to American point......

Cheers!

Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:56:04 PM(UTC)

This map has the motorized areas highlighted. I'm not sure if anyone offers tows from Basswood to Prairie Portage. If they do, it's probably expensive because it requires quite a bit of portaging. The standard tow is from Moose Lake - it's much shorter.

BigJilm  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:03:23 PM(UTC)

Thank you, sir!

BillConner  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:30:50 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
You can get a tow between Moose Lake bases I think it's Washington Island - basically the limits of motors - and I'd guess anywhere in between. Last I looked I think $90 one way, per person, minimum of 2. Best would be to call an outfitter and ask. Many do have this on their web site. My favorite is CCO, but I have rarely heard of bad outfitter service.
Ben Strege  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:56:07 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: BigJilm Go to Quoted Post
Thank you, Ben! As a general question, do you know if any of the outfitters are able to tow on Basswood (not sure if motors are even allowed)? If so, any idea as to how far they will go?

I'm not sure if I read this correctly the first time, so I'll just clarify. I don't know of any tow service starting at Fall Lake and going up to Basswood (though motors are allowed on these lakes). The tows to Basswood that I know of start at Moose Lake and go through Prairie Portage to get to Basswood.

BillConner  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 7:14:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: BigJilm Go to Quoted Post
Thank you, Ben! As a general question, do you know if any of the outfitters are able to tow on Basswood (not sure if motors are even allowed)? If so, any idea as to how far they will go?
I'm not sure if I read this correctly the first time, so I'll just clarify. I don't know of any tow service starting at Fall Lake and going up to Basswood (though motors are allowed on these lakes). The tows to Basswood that I know of start at Moose Lake and go through Prairie Portage to get to Basswood.

We agree even though I've personally become an anti-tow proponent. I've come to enjoy the paddle up and down Moose, and have really liked my paddle the length of Basswood.

Edited by user Saturday, February 18, 2017 6:29:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BigJilm  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 9:36:17 AM(UTC)

Thank you for the responses, much appreciated! 

Now I know where the ranger station is, I was confused when looking at the map and I had one outfitter tell me that the only ranger station for prairie portage was in the south end of Lac La Croix.  Guessing that they don't send many people into Quetico.

Happy Paddling!!!