Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BigFella  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 8:36:22 AM(UTC)

I'm wondering how well the buffs I use for sun protection fly fishing in So FL will work for mosquito protection in the BWCA, any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Sponsor
patphillips  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 3:48:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We have been wearing Buffs for the last 3 years during our trips and they do a great job. We do treat the Buffs with Permethrin before the trip. I have brought head nets along as well but haven't needed to use them.
Walter Eyed Pike  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:27:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Permitherin is an absolute life saver-- 3 guys used it, 3 guys didn't on our last trip and it was 100% noticeable.  I wore a shirt one day that wasn't pre-sprayed with it and noticed the difference nearly instantly.  It doesn't work 100% of the time, but it does work noticeably better than anything else in my opinion.  

It also works extremely well on Tick prevention--- while in Missouri Turkey hunting, we could see the ticks crawling in the grass and they wouldn't even touch us with that stuff on our boots/pants.  

BigFella  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:44:40 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: patphillips Go to Quoted Post
We have been wearing Buffs for the last 3 years during our trips and they do a great job. We do treat the Buffs with Permethrin before the trip. I have brought head nets along as well but haven't needed to use them.
Originally Posted by: Walter Eyed Pike Go to Quoted Post

Permitherin is an absolute life saver-- 3 guys used it, 3 guys didn't on our last trip and it was 100% noticeable.  I wore a shirt one day that wasn't pre-sprayed with it and noticed the difference nearly instantly.  It doesn't work 100% of the time, but it does work noticeably better than anything else in my opinion.  

It also works extremely well on Tick prevention--- while in Missouri Turkey hunting, we could see the ticks crawling in the grass and they wouldn't even touch us with that stuff on our boots/pants.  

This stuff, permitherin, sounds pretty powerful not sure I want to be inhaling (with a buff covering my face) something that kils mosquitos on contact

patphillips  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:32:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

http://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=forum.thread&threadId=566645&forumID=15&confID=1

There was a good discussion on the safety of permethrin on another message board a while back. Here is the link 

Edited by user Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:37:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gavia  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:34:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Permethrin spray is toxic when it's wet, but it's stable - and non-toxic to the wearer - when dry. Don't worry about it.
Will  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 3:46:56 PM(UTC)

An alternative we have found over the years is cigar smoke. We used to douse ourselves with high percentage deet sprays and hated the oily feeling. It didn't always work for the biting flies either. Since we started enjoying a good cigar periodically in camp it worked as well if not better than the deet sprays. The down side is some people don't like it. Cigars have cut my brother and I use of deet by about 75% though. If you aren't a smoker try a mild cigar first. Talk to a cigar shop and they can point you in the right direction. My dad used to smoke a pipe and it work as well for a deterrent. Probably won't work for ticks.

Edited by user Sunday, April 9, 2017 3:50:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gavia  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 4:53:02 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

I've found that permethrin works well for ticks. A few years ago I went with my son and brought two shirts I'd previously sprayed with permethrin. I offered him one of them and he declined. He picked a lot of ticks off and said he stopped counting at 32. I found 3 or 4.

Also, I use picaridin spray at the max. concentration of 20%. I suspect it works for black flies because I haven't been bitten even though they were out.