Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mapsguy1955  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 10:38:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Has anybody tried uploading a GPX file to GAIA GPS on IOS? Trying to figure out how to do it without a bunch of luck so far!

Sponsor
Chichi  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2017 9:12:24 AM(UTC)

Timely post. I'm looking to do the same thing but haven't quite got there. Thought i could upload the GPX file to my Delorme SE and see the waypoints/route on the companion Earthmate app, but it will only show waypoints/routes if you have the Delorme Explorer model. GAIA GPS app seems to have good reviews but I haven't tried it yet.
MagicPaddler  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2017 12:37:12 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
With the Garmin the tracks come up as NOT SHOWN ON MAP. I need to select them individually from a menu and turn them on after I get them on my GPS.
thanks 1 user thanked MagicPaddler for this useful post.
Mapsguy1955 on 8/2/2017(UTC)
Mapsguy1955  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2017 3:33:37 PM(UTC)

I got this email from GAIA: I did it and it works, but ALL of the campsites etc. popup within about 2 miles of the route on the screen. I do like the program though. It has been helpful over the last few trips without putting a route in. Just this year, our route is a bit more complicated!

Hi,

Thanks for using Gaia GPS.

You can import your route from Paddle Planner to Gaia GPS by uploading the GPX file that you attached below.

Here are instructions to import directly to the Gaia GPS app: https://help.gaiagps.com...us/articles/115003639048

Alternatively, you could upload directly to your account on gaiagps.com using your desktop computer: https://help.gaiagps.com...us/articles/115003525347

If you have any questions about that, please let me know.
Ashli Baldwin
Gaia GPS
Adventure Support
thanks 1 user thanked Mapsguy1955 for this useful post.
Chichi on 8/2/2017(UTC)
Chichi  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 9, 2017 8:41:46 AM(UTC)

Mapsguy1955 - after you've imported the GPX file into Gaia, are you able to see the waypoints on the iphone app? I uploaded the GPX files directly to my web account. Everything shows up fine on the website login, but not on the iphone App. On the app, it will only shows my route, not any of the waypoints or portages. Gaia said they've had some other reports of this but doesn't sound like it's a universal issue.
Chichi  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 3:34:16 PM(UTC)

Have got Gaia GPS figured out. It's a bit finicky to get imported routes and waypoints to display on the map in the App, but now that it's figured out, it seems to work pretty well. Seems to be the most flexible of the GPS iphone apps out there.
Mapsguy1955  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:06:17 PM(UTC)

I'm seeing all of the campsites but not really the waypoints. I'm not sure how to eliminate some I don't need.
Chichi  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:43:44 PM(UTC)

The only way I could see to do it was to delete each waypoint individually (each campsite and portage came in as a waypoint for me). I tried hiding individual waypoints, but the program seems to have a problem recognizing what the user wants to hide. I'd often end up with all waypoints showing or all hidden. I tried just importing the waypoints along the route I laid out, which works ok, but the imported data didn't retain the campsite or portage numbers or the details (star rating, # of tent pads) - each waypoint ended up having a different number assigned to it.

I ended up changing the icon for each waypoint along my route so I could see at a glance what was a portage, what was a non-existent campsite, what was a good campsite etc. Tedious for sure, but still seems to be visually a better GPS app then the others I looked at.