Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fishguts  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2014 10:52:27 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

We grew tired of some of the desserts the outfitters provide and have been looking for alternatives. One we found is a No-Bake Cheese Cake, calls for milk so you have to take some powdered milk to make it, but it taistes good! Any other ideas?

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 1:35:15 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

All of our meals are very simple, including our desserts. We used to take instant pudding, which tasted good, but I didn't like the cleanup. Lately we have just been taking dark chocolate with us. It doesn't melt as readily as milk chocolate, and it tastes great.

Gavia  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2014 1:09:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Dark chocolate always works.  A few years ago a friend made his signature stewed fruit (various dried fruits simmered until it was a lumpy sauce) and I put some Chambord (raspberry liqueur) in it.  He about swooned.

I like good sherry (not Harvey's) and sometimes mix it with Chambord.  Half an ounce is satisfying, a whole ounce is borderline sinful.  That and some 70% dark chocolate makes a rainy night enjoyable.

fishguts  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2014 2:17:45 PM(UTC)

Like all the chocolate MMMmmmm! Good stuff!
I don't drink, so we'll pass on the booze idea...thanks!
TuscaroraBorealis  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2014 9:07:44 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Jell-O mold dessertMy wife does a fantastic job baking desserts.  We usually bring the 'just add water' muffin/cake mixes & we both feel they are delightfully flavorful.  It takes a little patience to get them to turn out right, but we both feel it's well worth the effort.  Of course it's even more of a treat when you can add fresh fruit or berries! Jell-O mold baked dessertShe found a 'just add water' chocolate cake mix a few weeks back.  We tried it at home and were pleasantly surprised at how moist & chocolately it turned out. So, needless to say, it has become an instant staple!

ruddy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 3, 2014 9:50:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We take instant pudding. This takes milk so we mix the powder milk and pudding before are trip. Just and water and pre mixed pudding into a quart bottle and shake! It's the high light of dinner.
thanks 2 users thanked ruddy for this useful post.
Canoer97 on 2/8/2017(UTC), johnnordling on 7/26/2022(UTC)
Gavia  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 3, 2014 6:25:50 PM(UTC)

Yup, pudding works fine.  I've used Jell-O instant as well as Cache Lake.  The Cache Lake uses water and seems to mix easier.  It sets up a little better if it can be chilled a bit.  If you use this method (yes, the bowl is sitting in the lake) be sure there are no waves.

Lake-chilled pudding

KevinL  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:51:32 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I take Cookies and Cream instant pudding (any instant pudding), and cut the package into two ziplock bags.  Add 4TSP Nido milk and then when its time to make, put in 3/4 C water and let it sit in a pan of lake water for 10 - 15 minutes.  Pudding will set hard and is pretty good dessert.  

thanks 1 user thanked KevinL for this useful post.
luft on 10/2/2014(UTC)
luft  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:31:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KevinL Go to Quoted Post
I take Cookies and Cream instant pudding (any instant pudding), and cut the package into two ziplock bags. Add 4TSP Nido milk and then when its time to make, put in 3/4 C water and let it sit in a pan of lake water for 10 - 15 minutes. Pudding will set hard and is pretty good dessert.

I like bringing pudding but hate the clean up afterwards. The individualized portions in a baggy idea is brilliant!
thanks 1 user thanked luft for this useful post.
Canoer97 on 6/9/2018(UTC)
Gavia  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:37:26 PM(UTC)

Not sure if this qualifies as dessert, but I've started bringing wine. I mix a couple of reds (e.g., sangria and merlot) and put them in two 16-ounce juice bottles. The bottles seal well but I put them in a sealed foil bag just in case. I just got a 32-ounce juice bottle and will use that instead. A glass of nice red wine is as pleasant as chocolate pudding, though of course not a substitute.

Note about Cache Lake pudding: the chocolate flavor (is there any other?) tends to have an acidic bite to it. I use stainless steel cookware so that's not the cause.
Kkuipr_08  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2017 3:30:29 AM(UTC)

Yeah, we can get bored easily with regular meals and that is the main reason I try something new every day. But I pick simple recipes for working days and tricky ones on weekends. Through Nom Live Video App I have learned so many recipes.

Chris Hoepker  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:45:03 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
There's nothing like brandy after dinner. If there weren't limits to weight and volume, I'd even take along snifters. We like dark chocolate too, but generally take Toblerone - it's not terrifically dark but it doesn't melt as readily as many other chocolates.
matt13  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:25:43 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Gavia Go to Quoted Post
Not sure if this qualifies as dessert, but I've started bringing wine. I mix a couple of reds (e.g., sangria and merlot) and put them in two 16-ounce juice bottles. The bottles seal well but I put them in a sealed foil bag just in case. I just got a 32-ounce juice bottle and will use that instead. A glass of nice red wine is as pleasant as chocolate pudding, though of course not a substitute.

Wine qualifies. The bag in a box wine travels well too 

Originally Posted by: Chris Hoepker Go to Quoted Post
There's nothing like brandy after dinner.

x2

Wild blueberries and raspberries are my usual dessert along with dk chocolate 

BillConner  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 9:14:41 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)

I'm fond of desserts as well, and while dark chocolate and maybe a fruitcake cookie are more common, really enjoy baking a cake or brownies.  The Jiffy mixes are excellent for thier size and simplicity.  Smme require an egg, some oil, but most are water only, and that includes thier frosting mix.  

iced cake

TuscaroraBorealis  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 7:20:51 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Look at some of the Camp Chow offerings. http://shop.trailcenterlodge.com/CAMP-CHOW_c2.htm

We especially like their berry cheesecake.
BillConner  
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:55:31 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
There are backpacking rice pudding recipies that I've enjoyed. Easy and inexpensive.
MSykes  
#17 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 9:34:04 AM(UTC)

S'mores variations

S'mores

dreesa  
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2024 6:55:35 AM(UTC)

i love cooking pancakes