Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fishguts  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:47:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

If you could only take 3 lures on a Quetico trip, say in June, what would they be?

Sponsor
walllee  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:07:05 PM(UTC)

Jig, twister tails, Mepps spinner #3 silver

Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:23:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

As a disclaimer, I don't consider myself a fisherman, though I like to fish. We do a lot of trolling, so my choices are influenced by this. 3 lures...

1. Rapala Husky Jerk - We always seem to do well with this one, whether trolling or casting
  2. Rattlin' Rapala - This is my "cast and sink" lure
  3. Shallow diving Shad Rap (or generic equivalent) - Our bread and butter lure

Edited by user Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:48:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

fishguts  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 5:22:43 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

My favorites are:

Rapala Deep Tail DancerRapala Deep Tail Dancer

Rapala Skitter Pop

Rapala Skitter Pop

Rapala DT 16Rapala DT

ruddy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 3, 2014 10:00:35 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Rapala husky jerk,a lead head jig with a twister tail and a red daredevil
Xander  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:00:18 PM(UTC)

My all time favorite is the Rapala original floater #18 in Gold. Looks like a little walleye. Works great trolling. I like it because when trolling you can stop paddling to tend to various needs and just leave it out there. It will not sink and get snagged. I have had quite a few fish smash it after I stopped and it was just sitting there or right after I started up again.

Being June and most fish would still be shallow I would bring a Rapala X Rap size XR10 in Hot Head color. It will get down a bit and when you pause it will stay in place since it is neutrally buoyant. Crazy action induces strikes. I suggest you check it out on youtube and see what it can do. It catches fish.

Next I would bring a Rapala countdown in case you want to get a little deeper.

Later in the year I would change my selections to a lure that dives down a bit deeper. There are so many choices.

Runner up Daredevil Spoon in 5 of Diamonds color. Yellow with 5 red diamonds.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:28:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Timf1981  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2017 9:42:28 PM(UTC)

Small top water bait, floating rapala. Both cast right next to shor. Let it sit 5 seconds. Give it a twitch. Let it sit 5 more secondas. Bam
Walter Eyed Pike  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 4:23:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Friendly Reminder-- a flopping northern in a canoe with 3 sets of treble hooks can lead to issues-- pliers should be handy at all times, and if you don't want to keep the fish, I'd de-hook the beast in the water where you're less likely to get a new piercing. 

Regardless--  I'm a Jig and Twister tail, Husky-Jerk Rap (Bronze Color) and Green 2 blade spinner type guy.   Believe it or not my best lure last year was a Green two blade (one blad silver, one blade hammered copper) reef runner bass spinner-- caught a couple keeper eyes with it.  That's stuff you can't make-up--- I was completely shocked when I realized what I'd caught. 

gymcoachdon  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 7, 2017 12:07:31 AM(UTC)

I just got back from my June Quetico trip.

My top producing lure was a perch pattern Husky Jerk Rapala.  Probably 80 percent of my fish were caught while trolling this lure.  Of course, it was tied on about 80 percent of my fishing!

I also took 2 Deep Tail Dancers, a firetiger 20 ft, and a purple 30 ft.  The 20 ft was lost to a pike on the first cast/troll.  The 30 ft produced my first Lake Trout, and my second, and 2 nice 17" smallies.

My 3rd choice would probably be a jig and curly tail grub.

Indy Bill  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 4:02:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Bass, Pike  I prefer red and black skirt with gold spinners.   Toss against shore or submerged tree, won't snag

Image result for spinnerbait

Wallaye, Lake Trout,  Pike:    I like grey on top and gold on bottom, about 4 inches long trolling

Rapala Down Deep Husky Jerk 4"

Pike: not sure what Pike won't hit at any depth.    Always catch them with this.   

Eppinger Original Dardevle Spoon - 1-3/4" - 1/4 oz. - Red/White Stripe Nickel Back

thanks 2 users thanked Indy Bill for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 8/7/2017(UTC), Chichi on 8/9/2017(UTC)
banks  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 9:48:45 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I had the most success with a meps #5 for pike & bass:

(The single trebel hook is MUCH less hassle to remove from an angry pike!)

Walleye, pike, bass on rappala tail dancers (lakers on the deep dive version):

If casting from shore, or in areas with lots of weeds/sunk trees these superflukes were awesome:

There is a bit of a learning curve to the superflukes, but they are a ton of fun once you get the hang of it, and they really produced results in areas where the above two wern't making it happen.

thanks 1 user thanked banks for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 2/9/2018(UTC)
todd burkes  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2022 2:06:17 PM(UTC)

On my September trip, we absolutely killed the smallies with the whopper plopped. Any color, any size. It didn't matter