Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ben Strege  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 6:26:06 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I have been asked a few times in the last couple of weeks how to get new areas on the website. Some areas are easier to get data than others, and the larger areas are harder to create the route finder, so the time required to add an area varies. However, I'm always open to suggestions. If I can get the data, I can add it. These are the areas that have been suggested to me so far:

• Temagami (Ontario)
  • Killarney (Ontario)
  • Isle Royale (Michigan)
  • Apostle Islands (Wisconsin)
  • St Regis Canoe Area & Adirondacks (New York)
  • Northern Forest Canoe Trail (Maine to New York)
  • Mississippi River (Minnesota to Louisiana) - this would be quite a project
  • Minnesota Water Trails

These are areas that I've researched but haven't been suggested yet. Is there anyone that would like to see these added?

• Allagash Wilderness Waterway (Maine)
  • Wabakimi (Ontario) - might be hard to get data for this area, though
  • Kenai Wildlife Refuge (Alaska)
  • La Verendrye (Quebec)

Anybody want to vote for the next one or add another area to the list?

Sponsor
MagicPaddler  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 6:25:08 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I have considered going to Apostle Islands but did not because of lack of information. I would need place to park car, how to get permits, and maps with camp sites.
BillConner  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 7:59:46 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I'm intrigued by the NFCT but suspect I'm in a minority on that. Interesting opportunity. Thanks!

PS: I had to check on La Verendrye Quebec before I asked if LA Verendrye PP in Ontario was a possibility. Seemed like a natural extension to the Q. Of course some of the crown land around the Q would be nice to know about, even if route finder doesn't work there.

Edited by user Saturday, January 2, 2016 8:10:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: More info

thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Glenn on 7/20/2023(UTC)
Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2016 10:39:10 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I added the Apostle Islands today. It was another pretty simple one. Someday I'll add area guides that will answer the questions that you have, MP. For now, the best I can do is direct you to the Apostle Islands NPS page.

MagicPaddler  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2016 7:01:25 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Thanks Ben
AmateurHour  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:05:15 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Apostles are great, have wanted to paddle them for some time. Would also love to see Isle Royale and some of the MN waterways.

I'm in Wisconsin, so I'll toss in new suggestions for the Wisconsin river and for the Northern Highland American Legion State Forest canoe routes. The NHAL map/brochure can be found at http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/StateForests/nhal/documents/NHALCanoeRoute.pdf.

thanks 1 user thanked AmateurHour for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 1/5/2016(UTC)
eagle98mn  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:13:45 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)

I'm late to this thread, but I would cast a vote for St. Croix/Namekagon Rivers. I am very familiar with the lower St. Croix between Taylors Falls and Prescott since I am from the Twin Cities, but the upper St. Croix is a mystery to me that I would love to explore. Getting this map on Paddle Planner would make planning a potential trip that much easier. Maybe these rivers fall under "MN Water Trails" from your original post. In that case, I vote for them. Actually, I would vote for all of them anyway, with priority given to the St. Croix since it is a National Park that seems to cater to paddling. :)

AmateurHour  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 11:26:39 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Here's one more for the pile: The Turtle-Flambeau Scenic Waters Area. I randomly stumbled across this blog, and the T-F looks awesome. It's just west of where I usually go, but somehow I've never visited. I fully intend to check it out this summer. There are more details and maps from the state here: http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Lands/TurtleFlambeau/camping.html.

thanks 1 user thanked AmateurHour for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 4/10/2016(UTC)
Chris Hoepker  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:49:39 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)

I've had my eye on Wabakimi for years and would like to see it added. Granted, it's a big park and the data involved is pretty immense and I have a feeling that the last thing the area outfitters want is for an independent source of information to become available. (Memories of the Woodland Caribou situation come to mind.)

thanks 1 user thanked Chris Hoepker for this useful post.
vern.dewit on 1/10/2020(UTC)
Ben Strege  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 12:30:03 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: Chris Hoepker Go to Quoted Post
I've had my eye on Wabakimi for years and would like to see it added.

The biggest problem with Wabakimi is lack of portage information. The info that I can get from the Ontario government is just downright bad - at least the last time I looked, maybe I should look again. I know Friends of Wabakimi have good portage info, but I don't know if they would be willing to share.

Ben Strege  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 12:31:45 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: eagle98mn Go to Quoted Post
I would cast a vote for St. Croix/Namekagon Rivers. I am very familiar with the lower St. Croix between Taylors Falls and Prescott since I am from the Twin Cities, but the upper St. Croix is a mystery to me that I would love to explore.

At the Outdoor Adventure Expo, I got this request a lot. So I think this will be the next one to add. It shouldn't be too hard since it is just a river and the info is readily available.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
eagle98mn on 5/17/2016(UTC)
Hammond  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 11:00:14 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
from your list, I'd say Killarney is a definite need - that place is beautiful. In addition to your list, Craig Lake State Park in the west/central region of Michigan's Upper Peninsula is fantastic. It's not huge, 3 lakes 1 river, a couple portages, but a great place worth going to. here's a link to my photo album from 2014 http://www.paddleplanner...bumphotos.aspx?album=233
jvermast  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:22:58 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Queen Elizabeth Highlands might work
Ben Strege  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:44:19 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: jvermast Go to Quoted Post
Queen Elizabeth Highlands might work

I'll have to look into it. I've never heard of it. Of course, before adding all of these areas, I'll need to finish up the new website design 

eagle98mn  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2018 10:30:43 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Hey Ben, sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I'm just curious if you are still working on adding additional areas or if that isn't really the focus anymore? I'm still interested in the MN waterways like the St. Croix, but I also was wondering about the other Superior National Forest canoe routes like Timber Frear on this page: https://www.fs.usda.gov/...recid=36905&actid=79

Thanks!
Ben Strege  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:56:54 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I still want to do all of those areas. My focus was on redesigning the entire site. I started redesigning a couple of years ago, and then I moved. The move, new job, and everything else kind of got in the way...

I hope to be able to finish the redesign this summer and then go back to adding all of the stuff I want to add (new areas, finishing the mobile app, other features).

As for these areas specifically, I also still want to add St. Croix and the other MN waterways. I had started working on them, but it became much more complicated than I originally thought. I'll see if I can at least get St. Croix in since that has been requested several times.

As for Timber-Frear, I thought I had it in. After looking, though, I realized I only had the campsites and not the portages on the map. Adding the portages shouldn't be too hard - I'll let you know when I get that done.

eagle98mn  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 11:50:57 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Thanks for the update Ben. Not trying to pressure you - just was curious since so much time had elapsed.

As for the superior national forest routes, now that I am looking for them, I see you do have some of them on there like the Circle Route near Ely but are missing some of the others. Here is the other link I am looking at https://www.fs.usda.gov/...ENTS/stelprdb5302434.pdf

I always noticed the campsites and portages outside the BWCA on Paddle Planner, but didn't really know what they were since I've only been canoe tripping for 5 years. Now, I'm starting to understand that many of them are part of smaller canoe routes that may be exactly what I want to check out in the future under the right circumstances. Even though they are much smaller, would it make sense to break these routes out on the "interactive maps" page like you do with some of the other canoe areas? Complete with entry points? So for Timber-Frear for example, for planning purposes, it would be nice to be able to "discover" the Timber Frear route exists on the maps page, and then once clicking on it see on Paddle Planner which lakes offer entry to the area in addition to the corresponding campsites and portages. This is just an idea to add to you're already lengthy to-do list! :)

Edited by user Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:31:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BillConner  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:47:31 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

eagle98, I get a "pages not found" error on the fs.usda.... link
eagle98mn  
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:33:27 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: BillConner Go to Quoted Post
eagle98, I get a "pages not found" error on the fs.usda.... link

Oops! I guess it added the period at the end of my sentence to the link. I just deleted the period and that fixed the link - my grammar teachers would be horrified! :)

Gavia  
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 4:27:48 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

I've been to the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage several times.  It's basically just a big lake, so there really aren't any significant route options.  The maps and charts available on the DNR's website are enough.  If you plug the GPS coordinates into GoogleEarth you can navigate using a smartphone.  I see no need to create a resource for it on this site.

Originally Posted by: AmateurHour Go to Quoted Post

Here's one more for the pile: The Turtle-Flambeau Scenic Waters Area. I randomly stumbled across this blog, and the T-F looks awesome. It's just west of where I usually go, but somehow I've never visited. I fully intend to check it out this summer. There are more details and maps from the state here: http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Lands/TurtleFlambeau/camping.html.

Gavia  
#21 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 4:30:07 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I'll second this suggestion for mapping the NHAL canoe routes.  DNR's maps are of limited value.  I'd really like to see trip reports, which would help me make decisions about route planning.

Thanks for the suggestion, AH!

Apostles are great, have wanted to paddle them for some time. Would also love to see Isle Royale and some of the MN waterways.

I'm in Wisconsin, so I'll toss in new suggestions for the Wisconsin river and for the Northern Highland American Legion State Forest canoe routes. The NHAL map/brochure can be found at http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/StateForests/nhal/documents/NHALCanoeRoute.pdf.

Gavia  
#22 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 4:35:06 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

With regard to the Minnesota water trails: the state has an incredible collection of water trail maps for many of the rivers in MN. I got all of them several years ago and the stack is about 9 inches high. They have all the information one could need to plan a multi-day trip just about anywhere. (I got the maps because I was starting work on a water trails website for Wisconsin and I was looking for examples. If that project had ever been launched, I would have used Minnesota's approach as a guide.)
AmateurHour  
#23 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 9:37:33 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Depends on what one uses the site for, I suppose. My primary use is sharing/viewing photos and site info. I spend a good chunk of time scrolling through the maps to see what others have said or uploaded, and PP is also my primary storage for trip photos. I feel a lot better about Ben monetizing my stuff than a few CEOs I could name. :)

Originally Posted by: Gavia Go to Quoted Post

I've been to the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage several times.  It's basically just a big lake, so there really aren't any significant route options.  The maps and charts available on the DNR's website are enough.  If you plug the GPS coordinates into GoogleEarth you can navigate using a smartphone.  I see no need to create a resource for it on this site.

Gavia  
#24 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:19:50 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Well, I certainly can't argue your last point. :-)

I also agree that PP is a great place to share trip reports, etc. My comment was to suggest that there isn't a need for Ben to put a lot of time into mapping the T-F Flowage.

However, if one Flowage, then all four of them, including the Chippewa, the Willow, and the Rainbow.
Ben Strege  
#25 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2018 6:47:57 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: Gavia Go to Quoted Post
Well, I certainly can't argue your last point. :-)

I also agree that PP is a great place to share trip reports, etc. My comment was to suggest that there isn't a need for Ben to put a lot of time into mapping the T-F Flowage.

However, if one Flowage, then all four of them, including the Chippewa, the Willow, and the Rainbow.

I've been planning on adding the T-F and Chippewa flowages because there are already so many photos on Paddle Planner for them (thanks AH!). I wasn't aware of the other two flowages, so I'll be sure to add those, too, when I get to them. I hope to actually get some stuff done when the semester ends in a few weeks.

#26 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2018 8:43:56 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post

I have been asked a few times in the last couple of weeks how to get new areas on the website. Some areas are easier to get data than others, and the larger areas are harder to create the route finder, so the time required to add an area varies. However, I'm always open to suggestions. If I can get the data, I can add it. These are the areas that have been suggested to me so far:

• Temagami (Ontario)
  • Killarney (Ontario)
  • Isle Royale (Michigan)
  • Apostle Islands (Wisconsin)
  • St Regis Canoe Area & Adirondacks (New York)
  • Northern Forest Canoe Trail (Maine to New York)
  • Mississippi River (Minnesota to Louisiana) - this would be quite a project
  • Minnesota Water Trails

These are areas that I've researched but haven't been suggested yet. Is there anyone that would like to see these added?

• Allagash Wilderness Waterway (Maine)
  • Wabakimi (Ontario) - might be hard to get data for this area, though
  • Kenai Wildlife Refuge (Alaska)
  • La Verendrye (Quebec)

Anybody want to vote for the next one or add another area to the list?

I would suggest that in your menu that you add the borders of La Verandrye Provincial Park in Ontario - east of Quetico - north of BWCAW

vern.dewit  
#27 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 3:17:41 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

The biggest problem with Wabakimi is lack of portage information. The info that I can get from the Ontario government is just downright bad - at least the last time I looked, maybe I should look again. I know Friends of Wabakimi have good portage info, but I don't know if they would be willing to share.

Any updates on this idea? I'd love to see Wabakimi added.

Ben Strege  
#28 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 9:00:30 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: vern.dewit Go to Quoted Post

Any updates on this idea? I'd love to see Wabakimi added.

I'm still trying to get the data. It's a tough one to find. 

BillConner  
#29 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 5:28:58 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was interested to see Killarney. Its a destination I'm looking at now. Have only just started to research. French River PP seems like a place without much attention do far - kind of newish park.

Looking at your list, and having moved to Adirondacks, I have found a lot of resources for paddling here. Also, its much more linear - not a lot of options but follow the river or water trail.
thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 4/23/2020(UTC)
arnesr  
#30 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2021 10:05:55 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I would be interested is seening coverage of the Turtle River/White Otter area, north of Quetico.  I believe the park office used to put out a map of this area, but I don't belive it is available any longer.

thanks 2 users thanked arnesr for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 11/9/2021(UTC), honolua28 on 7/24/2022(UTC)
BDCarter151  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2022 2:15:10 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Hello, I would like to suggest adding ZEC Kipawa, Quebec to the canoeing areas supported by Paddle Planner. I have maps that cover about 75 years of campsite & portage history that would be nice to preserve. I would renew my subscription to Paddle Planner so I could access this information and use your convenient trip planning tools. I am currently using OutdoorActive.com to plan and preserve trip data but it isn't as powerful or convenient to use as PP. ---Thanks

Ben Strege  
#32 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2022 2:24:14 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: BDCarter151 Go to Quoted Post

Hello, I would like to suggest adding ZEC Kipawa, Quebec to the canoeing areas supported by Paddle Planner. I have maps that cover about 75 years of campsite & portage history that would be nice to preserve. I would renew my subscription to Paddle Planner so I could access this information and use your convenient trip planning tools. I am currently using OutdoorActive.com to plan and preserve trip data but it isn't as powerful or convenient to use as PP. ---Thanks

Yes, send them my way! Quebec has been much harder for me to find info, so this would be a nice addition. If you want to email them, send it to admin@paddleplanner.com.

TuscaroraBorealis  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2022 12:04:08 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Interested in the Minnesota water trails.

I know there are several books documenting them but, it would be helpful to have updated conditions, campsite ratings etc.
Ben Strege  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2022 2:02:04 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: TuscaroraBorealis Go to Quoted Post
Interested in the Minnesota water trails.

I know there are several books documenting them but, it would be helpful to have updated conditions, campsite ratings etc.

They are on my list. I started them years ago, but it ended up not being as easy as I envisioned. I'll pick the project back up.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
eagle98mn on 1/30/2023(UTC)
bharrop  
#35 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2023 2:33:48 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Hey Ben

Most of my tripping is north and norteast Manitoba. I take it you would need data on areas. All what would you need I am Guessing access and egrees locations and any permissions if needed. and GPX tracking of the route taken with discriptions of camp site and portages with coordinates. any thing else you would require?

Ben Strege  
#36 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2023 4:03:14 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: bharrop Go to Quoted Post

Hey Ben

Most of my tripping is north and norteast Manitoba. I take it you would need data on areas. All what would you need I am Guessing access and egrees locations and any permissions if needed. and GPX tracking of the route taken with discriptions of camp site and portages with coordinates. any thing else you would require?

At a minimum I need portage locations. Access points are almost required, but I can make a map with just portages. Campsite locations are ideal. GPX files are the best for me in terms of figuring out locations, especially campsites and portages.

Which areas are you wanting to add?

bharrop  
#37 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2023 6:28:17 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Not This Year but 2024 Bloodvein River - Sasaginnigak lake - Leyond River Loop. have not finished up the trip plan yet it would be 150-200 km loop.I am going up to Bloodvein First nations to talk to them on permission on their land and get a good lay of the rivers any information that I get from them will be included in trip report
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply