Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joe_Schmeaux  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 2:37:32 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)

A couple of recent posts in the "Gear" section (Cooke custom food pack thread) mentioned tripping with fresh meat.

Refrigeration considerations aside, I'd suggest that this might not be such a good idea, at least not in bear country.

Some years ago I was backpacking in Banff NP, and had set up my tent in a shared backcountry site. Another couple had decided to bring in frozen steaks, and used their high density foam sleeping pads to keep the meat cold on the trek in. (This was a long time ago, before thermarests).

After they had finished their dinner, a black bear wandered into camp. He decided the foam pads (in the tent by this time) smelled good enough to eat, so he flattened and ripped open the tent, and started munching away. 

Fortunately for the hikers, it was a black bear, and the tent was unoccupied at the time. Unfortunately for the bear, it had to be destroyed.

But the bottom line is that anything used to pack fresh meat in will pick up odors, and bears are attracted to the smell of fresh meat, even if extremely well sealed by human standards. 

Edited by user Monday, April 9, 2018 2:48:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Joe_Schmeaux for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 4/9/2018(UTC), AmateurHour on 4/10/2018(UTC), Sluggman42 on 4/11/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
eagle98mn  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:56:33 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Wow. That would be mighty terrifying to witness! Good reminder. I have a dry bag that I use only as a food pack for exactly this reason. I don't want my food bag to transfer any odors back to any other gear.
Canoer97  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:37:51 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I trip with three other guys every year and we take fresh meat (steaks, polish sausage, cornish hens, and other meats) and have never encountered a bear, BUT we take extra precautions to make sure that it hung any time we are not in camp and especially at night. we also DO NOT mix our personal gear with the food bag. Bear bag are a must for us. We have never used a food barrel.
BillConner  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 7:24:25 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I'm with Canoe97. We don't carry a lot of fresh meat, maybe brats or steaks for first night and summer sausage and cheeses for rest of trip. All food (and garbage) in one pack, no mixing, and always hang the whole pack every night. Never have seen a bear in either the Q or Bdub.
AmateurHour  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:41:32 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

My wife (TippyCanoe) and I proudly rate ourselves very high on the "bear-anoia" scale. We eat almost exclusively rehydrated chow with maybe the addition of some summer sausage or Babybel. She writes a fair piece about her meal strategy in her trip reports. We put everything -- pots, pans, and stove included -- in our barrels and park them under a small tarp way back in the woods. About the last thing I'd ever want (aside from a Vikings SB win) is the life of some poor bear on my conscience. Not to mention, replacing gear is expensive!

Edited by user Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:49:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gavia  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 4:40:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Before you trust your dry bag to be odor-proof, check it out with a dog.

A few years ago I sealed a package of beef jerky in a plastic bag, put it in a dry bag, closed the dry bag securely, and put it on the kitchen floor.  My dog (an Australian Shepherd) was *very* interested in it.

I put the same package in a Bear Vault with the lid slightly ajar.  My dog tried to get into it.  When I closed the lid completely he walked past it as though it was nothing at all.

Bear in mind that a dog's sense of smell is nothing compared to a bear's.

Originally Posted by: eagle98mn Go to Quoted Post
Wow. That would be mighty terrifying to witness! Good reminder. I have a dry bag that I use only as a food pack for exactly this reason. I don't want my food bag to transfer any odors back to any other gear.

eagle98mn  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 11:07:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Gavia Go to Quoted Post

Before you trust your dry bag to be odor-proof, check it out with a dog.

A few years ago I sealed a package of beef jerky in a plastic bag, put it in a dry bag, closed the dry bag securely, and put it on the kitchen floor.  My dog (an Australian Shepherd) was *very* interested in it.

I put the same package in a Bear Vault with the lid slightly ajar.  My dog tried to get into it.  When I closed the lid completely he walked past it as though it was nothing at all.

Bear in mind that a dog's sense of smell is nothing compared to a bear's.

Originally Posted by: eagle98mn Go to Quoted Post

Good example of the crazy sensitivity of some animal noses Gavia.

I wasn't very clear in my post. I don't rely upon the dry bag to be scent-proof at all. In fact, I always assumed it would absorb scents similar to the foam pads in Joe's story. For that reason, this particular dry bag is only used as a bear bag. It is never used to transport other items, nor is it kept in the tent - just in case it smells like food. The bag itself is hung up in a tree, 10-12' high, 6' out, away from the tents, etc.

So the point of my original comment was simply that I make sure to never re-purpose my bear bag for another use, just to ensure Joe's sleep-pad incident isn't repeated with my bear bag. Once a bear-bag, only a bear-bag.

Thanks for the concern Gavia. I'd hate to be doing something unsafe and have people unwilling to point it out!

Joe_Schmeaux  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:17:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Originally Posted by: BillConner Go to Quoted Post
I'm with Canoe97.Never have seen a bear in either the Q or Bdub.

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. I've seen scat occasionally in Q; you'll see it too if you keep your eyes open. I saw a bear last year in WCPP for what it's worth.

There was a good article in Canadian Geographic a couple of years ago where they published a two-week track of a collared grizzly in Banff. She covered a lot of ground in her wanderings, but spent a lot of time close to one of the most popular tourist spots in the park. Nobody saw her. I know grizzlies aren't the same as black bears, but still, I don't think you can expect them to go out of their way to make their presence known. Unless you give them a reason.

BillConner  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2018 6:41:50 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I know they are there. Fortunately usually know in advance from rangers and outfitters where they are active.
thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Canoer97 on 4/19/2018(UTC)
TuscaroraBorealis  
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 8:47:20 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
We almost always bring fresh meat.

While precautions are taken, they are no different than what we do with most other foods we bring.

Personally I feel the sweet sugary snacks (which we also bring) will be more of an attraction, and cause for concern.

As mentioned, secure packing and keeping a clean camp will go a long says towards preventing an unwelcome visitor.