Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nancy Stutzman  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 5:28:03 PM(UTC)

Thinking about a route this summer that goes through some of the burn area from the Pagami Creek fire of 2012. Has anyone been through the area last summer? How desolate does it look? I have been through burn areas before and not looking for that "Mars type landscape" experience.

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 5:58:34 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I've been through it twice. To me, it doesn't look like a Mars landscape. A lot of underbrush and wildflowers have grown back. We lunched at an island on Hudson that was burned (in 2014). There were many, many flowers - and bees. The portage to Insula was one of the prettiest I have seen because of all the flowers. I went to Lake Two last year. From a distance, the burn area looks stark; close up, though, is when you see the flowers. There are some pictures on the maps showing the area. 

However, there are downsides. There is no shade in the burn area, and the burned trees can be a danger. 

There are places on almost all the lakes in the burn area that escaped the fire. So even going through it, you might be able to avoid it somewhat.

I wouldn't hesitate to go through it again, but that is my opinion. Others probably have a different view than me.

BillConner  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 6:28:20 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I'm with Ben on this. I think I've been through parts of it 3 or 4 times. Fascinating to stand on a ridge between two lakes and see both lakes. Looking forward to another trip to see the changes. Must be great blue berries along with the flowers.

I saw occupied sites in southern Insulation - a half dozen trees but otherwise all burn - and would like to try that.

Lots of firewood!
eagle98mn  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:52:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Two years ago I went through the eastern edge when I entered at Kawishiwi Lake and headed north. Although I didn't stay in the area, I wouldn't have hesitated to stop if we hadn't had our sights set on getting further in. It is new growth, but the area is definitely greening up. I'd love to explore the area more sometime. I suppose hanging the bear bag could be a small challenge, but I bet the burn area will be pretty lightly traveled and thereby much more private.
TuscaroraBorealis  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 9:09:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Here's a trip into the Pagami fire zone.

http://www.paddleplanner...eport.aspx?reportnum=145

Sluggman42  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 7:30:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Wondering if anyone has been back through this area since the last few posts.  Obviously that would mostly mean last summer.  I'm going to be staying at the Kawishiwi Cabins on lake one (first time in 20 years).  Bunch on kids and first timers going this year.   However, I was considering taking a night and heading into the PMA just south, perhaps Pagami or Rock Island Lakes.  Curious of anyone has been in either one since the fire and if anything survived (especially in rock island).  Ill be posting whatever I find regardless, but any info on either of those two lakes would be appreciated.  I havent been to Pagami since before PMAs became a thing and never to Rock Island.   

Riley Smith  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 8:03:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Sluggman42 Go to Quoted Post

Wondering if anyone has been back through this area since the last few posts.  Obviously that would mostly mean last summer.  I'm going to be staying at the Kawishiwi Cabins on lake one (first time in 20 years).  Bunch on kids and first timers going this year.   However, I was considering taking a night and heading into the PMA just south, perhaps Pagami or Rock Island Lakes.  Curious of anyone has been in either one since the fire and if anything survived (especially in rock island).  Ill be posting whatever I find regardless, but any info on either of those two lakes would be appreciated.  I havent been to Pagami since before PMAs became a thing and never to Rock Island.   

I haven't been in to that PMA in particular. Closest I have been is the numbers chain and Horsehoe. However, the air photos would suggest that a couple different parts of Rock Island didn't burn (though most of it did.)  From what I remember paddleing around Two and Three, the Rock Island direction was burned kind of sporadically. That said, I am pretty sure the area around the creek and the old portage did burn, so you will have your work cut out for your there. 

thanks 1 user thanked Riley Smith for this useful post.
Sluggman42 on 2/27/2020(UTC)