Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MagicPaddler  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 1:02:32 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)

I have had trouble with my feet on most trips and have acquired several pare of shows trying to solve the problems.  Most of the shoes have a clam of being fast draining but none have drain holes in the locations to promote draining for a canoeist.  Getting into a canoe it you hold your foot up to drain you will hold your tow down where there are no drain holes.  While setting in a canoe your heel will be down where there are no drain holes. I noticed that my shoes are heavy on portage trail and knew that it was due to water in them. Yesterday I decided to test all my portage shoes to see how well they drained. First I weighed all the shoes to get a reference weight. Then I put all 4 pare in a large plastic tub and filled it with water and put bricks on top of the shoes to hold them under.  I left them under for over 30 minutes.  At the end all of the shoes still floated. They were then set on the driveway right side up and weighed at 5,10, and 15 minutes. This was the result

Label____Dry _______5 minutes____10 minutes____15 minutes___20 Hours

OBT____42.56 Oz____56.40 Oz_____55.80 Oz_____55.44 Oz____47.21 Oz

NRS____37.89 Oz____47.40 Oz_____47.00 Oz_____46.48 Oz____39.86 Oz

Chota___37.05 Oz____65.57 Oz_____59.95 Oz_____57.99 Oz____47.85 Oz

Keen____33.95 Oz____51.90 Oz_____49.70 Oz_____47.17 Oz____40.92 Oz

I have not worn the Keen on a trip yet but plan to this summer.  They are getting broke in on daily walks and are more comfortable than any of the others. I have added a few (about 5) ounce of arch support to them although they started off better than any of the others.

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Gavia  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 8:58:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

I like your scientific method.  I'd suggest, though, that only the 5-minute reading is of any value.  You might take readings at 15, 30, and 60 seconds.  That's more relevant to actual conditions.  I mean, I want a shoe to drain right away.

Also, I'd suggest your method might be improved by holding the shoes underwater only as long as they'e typically submerged when at a portage landing.  Perhaps you'd share a new set of results?

Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 9:07:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I also appreciate the approach to testing the shoes. To add on to Gavia's suggestions, you could also walk something like 100 rods immediately after getting them out of the water and then weigh them. That would simulate the "squishing" action of walking - not sure if it would make a difference or not.

I actually really appreciate the 20 hour reading. On my trips I bring two pairs of shoes - one for traveling and getting wet, one for lounging around camp. It is nice to know how long it will take for the shoes to dry completely or how fast it is compared to other shoes.

MagicPaddler  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:15:43 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)

Gavin

My first attempt at taking weight measurements were  at less than 1 minute and the problem was that the weight was changing so fast I could not get a good reading and my scales were getting wet.

Bsterge

I think walking in the shoes would make a difference.  When the shoes were setting on the drive and I looked down into them the Keens had water puddled in them.  If my foot had been in there it would have forced some of the water out.

My reason for doing this test was I wanted to use the Keens for my next trip but was concerned about water drainage.  All of the shoes were advertised as fast draining except the Keens.  So were the Keens going to be buckets of water on my feet?  Well the Keens turned out to be the best draining of the bunch or at least as good as the best.  I may drill a couple of small holes in the heel to let the water out while setting in the canoe.

Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:33:33 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I'll be interested to hear how they perform on the trip.