Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tab1324  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 12:09:46 PM(UTC)

I am planning a group trip coming up October 8th thru 11th but have some concerns about weather..  My concerns are that we will have a number of people who are newbies to canoeing and also out of shape.  Also a few kids may be along.  My biggest concern here is dumping a canoe in colder weather.  Obviously that's a concern for anyone going there but with al of the newbies I'm more concerned since hypothermia would likely result if that were to happen.

So - considering we don't dump a boat, I still have concerns over the type of weather we may run into.  I know we could get lucky and have 70s but I'm thinking it will be more like late fall / winter weather than warm.  I went in September with a smaller group and we were warm enough but I'm thinking a month later could get pretty cold.

Anyone have experience this late in the year?  Recommendations?  Should we try to bump it up into late August or early Sept?

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 12:32:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I've never gone in October, but I definitely would have weather concerns with newbies. If you can, I would look at the late August/September option.

Canoer97  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 5:21:29 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I too would move it back August/September. I like September. The weather in September can be a mixed bag. A couple of years ago, four of us were on Frost Lake and we had snow, sleet and rain all at the same time.
BillConner  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:43:24 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I've been first week, second week, and last week of October. Dumped in Sunday Lake One of those - only time I've ever dumped - and survived fine - after 45 or so minutes. Last year we did layover on a "snow" day, but was fun and saw a lot of wildlife, including wolves.

First timers - depends. Special time but a little more raw. If they're prepared, no problem. A few weeks earlier, no problem.
Canoer97  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:30:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
DON't take dumping so lightly. It can be deadly if not handled properly. Hypothermia can be DEADLY.
BillConner  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 8:53:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Which is why I don't go in spring but the water is not that cold in early October, thankfully.
thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Canoer97 on 7/22/2015(UTC)