Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chris Hoepker  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 2:43:13 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)

When I post photos and want to enter location, I click on the “None” and the map appears – in small scale and satellite photo mode over Quetico. To enter the location of a photo in another park, for example Algonquin, I have to zoom out and then drag over to Algonquin, zoom in, set the background to “CALTOPO”, zoom in some more, look for the lake and finally I can find the location of the photo.

My wish would be to be able to set a default map with zoom and background that would appear when I click on “None”. Alternately and just as big a help, or maybe more, would be to have the last used map zoom and background appear when I click on “None”.

P.S. I find PaddlePlanner so good a website that I'm almost embarassed to make suggestions.

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 8:42:09 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been meaning to fix that - the default location is left over from when the website only covered the BWCA/Quetico. Having the last used map show up is not something that I thought of and is a great idea.

I'm also working on a better way to upload photos - allowing multiple photos to be uploaded, automatically entering the date, and, if it is geotagged, automatically entering the location.

Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2015 11:55:00 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I added the new photo uploading tool. It allows you to upload multiple photos at one time. If your photos are geotagged, it should automatically detect it and assign a location (which can be changed). Instructions are on the page if needed. I'll still make a few tweaks to it, but this should be much better than the old method, especially when uploading all of the photos from one trip.

If your camera doesn't geotag photos and you use a GPS, I've had very good success using geotagging tools that determine where a photo was taken by comparing the GPS track with the photo's date/timestamp. One such tool is GeoSetter. Garmin's BaseCamp also has a geotagging tool built-in. For best success, you need to have your GPS on whenever you are traveling so you have an accurate track.

This should also mostly fix your location selection problem. The first time it comes up, the map will still be over the BWCA/Quetico (still need to fix that), but after making one selection, it will remember your last location and automatically go to that one. This is only for the new photo upload tool. Changing existing photos still follows the old process.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Chris Hoepker on 10/14/2015(UTC)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply