Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MagicPaddler  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2015 7:30:38 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)

If we supply you with Way Points from trips we have taken for the start and end of portages could they be added to the map?  Maybe have the label reflect the side of the river they are on for rivers.  An example if you are approaching a portage from the water marked R01 it would be on the right side of the river and someone approaching form the other direction would see the way point at that end of the portage marked L01. 

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2015 8:55:38 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

What do you want with the data? Do you want it to input into a GPS? Or is there something other reason you want to see it on the map? I purposely haven't put end points on the map because I think it would clutter up an already cluttered map. However, I could put the end points on the portage information popup screen. I also already have a GPX download with the portage end points.

The GPX download doesn't have them marked which end, but I can add that. Instead of left or right, I would add NW, NE, SW, SE, which is how I show which direction the portage elevation graph is. For a portage that goes west to east, for example, it might show NW to SE because the west end is slightly more north than the east end. However, I think you would be able to determine which direction is the more important one.

I would welcome any data that you have on the portages, whether it is the end points or the entire track.

MagicPaddler  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 8:53:43 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I will want to put the end points data into my GPS.  I cannot open the GPX data in mapsource.  I’m I doing something wrong?

I will send you some portage end points.  I have come up with end points by 2 methods.  On my tracks where they cross a portages I select a point from my tracks that is just off the water and use those coordinates for the end point.  Lately I have started putting a waypoint on my GPS while standing about 3 feed from the water on the portage trail.  The second method is more accurate but either will put a person on the portage trail.  What format would you like the waypoints (GPX, GDB, TXT) and how do I get the file to you?

When I am coming down a river and approaching rapids or falls I want to know which side of the river the portage is on. If the river is running SE I know the portage will be running SE and that does not tell me which side of the river the portage is on. Map calibration (Don’t know if that is the correct word but I mean map features showing up at correct Coordinates) is not accurate enough to tell me which side of the river the end point is. If the river is running SE you could say the portage is on the NE or SW side of the river. 

Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 10:33:31 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I had to fix something to get it to work in MapSource. Redownload the files, and it should import this time.

You can email the files to admin@paddleplanner.com. Since I will be converting any files to text files anyway, you can send the txt files. Whatever is easiest for you, though, works for me. Do you also have the tracks, or just the end points? I'm always looking to make my portage trails more accurate.

Now I understand what you meant by right and left. That is a bit trickier. Would including the actual track (instead of just the waypoint) work? Or would that not be helpful? I'm not sure how much you can put in your GPS, and tracks could take up a lot of storage space. Otherwise inputting all of the descriptions could take a lot of time.

MagicPaddler  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2015 1:29:43 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

The file has been sent. You have a lot of work to get portages out of those tracks. If nothing else the ones marked on the Cache River have endpoints with the endpoint waypoints added while I was standing at the portage. The campsites in the file are ones I either stayed at or personally checked. I will try to use my GPS to mark portage endpoints and camp sites in the future.
Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2015 2:23:00 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Thanks - I received it. I've been working on a reply on and off all day but haven't gotten around to sending it yet (been pretty busy around here). It will probably be a few weeks before I can look at the file in depth.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply