Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
01richwood  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:54:00 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Alright, my first post. Here's a link to a route I made. Looks quite challenging to me. My friends have been just about every where in the BWCA. This is an area they haven't been before. My concern is the portages between Mountain lake and Moose Lake. Fan Lake and Vaseux being too shallow or low water levels in other lakes.  Our permit is to start and end at West Bearskin Lake. We have 6 days in the Boundary Waters. Any comments, suggestions, or ideas on this route or changes would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

West Bearskin Loop

Edited by moderator Wednesday, June 3, 2015 7:21:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 7:21:00 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I haven't been in this area before, either, but my wife and I were planning a very similar trip. Over 6 days it would be an average of 4 hours of paddling a day. Figure in a layover day, and it is almost 5 hours a day on the rest of the days. 2 layover days makes it 6 hours a day. To me it looks doable with a few caveats.

The way the lakes in this area are situated (west to east) make them very prone to wind. You may be windbound for a couple of days, especially as you make the turn to go west again.

I heard from Bearskin Outfitters that the portage from Moon to Flour is hard to find and in bad shape. It isn't maintained because it isn't an official Forest Service portage. An alternative would be to start your trip at the boat ramp at the east end of West Bearskin. You can finish your trip at the west end of Clearwater and then someone just walks a mile to go pick up the vehicle. No need to portage the gear.

I've never heard anything about the portages between Mountain and Moose, so I can't help you there.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
01richwood on 6/3/2015(UTC)
01richwood  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:43:19 AM(UTC)

Thanks Ben, I'll look into that. Our permit is for West Bearskin. If there is leeway on where we can enter Bearskin at your idea sound like a better plan.
Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:56:11 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: 01richwood Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Ben, I'll look into that. Our permit is for West Bearskin. If there is leeway on where we can enter Bearskin at your idea sound like a better plan.

Your permit is probably for Daniels Lake, not West Bearskin. West Bearskin is outside the Boundary Waters, so however you get to the Daniels Lake portage is up to you. This isn't the only entry point like this - Crab Lake (EP #4) comes to mind. You paddle across Burntside (outside the BWCA) to get to the portage that is actually the entry point. How you get to the portage or where you start doesn't matter.

Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:57:08 AM(UTC)

Just to make sure, is your entry point East Bearskin? There is an East Bearskin entry point, but not a West Bearskin one. That would completely change the route you are looking at.

01richwood  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:09:10 PM(UTC)

Our ep is #61, Daniels Lake. The map shows it's in West Baerskin. That's good info to know. Initially we were going in at East Bearskin but there was no permit available for the day we needed.
Ben Strege  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:21:06 PM(UTC)

I looked it up on the MN DNR website. There are two accesses - one is a boat access (eastern), and the other is a carry-down access (western).

MN DNR Recreation Compass

Western Access

Eastern Access

I should probably move one of the markers to the eastern access to show it can be used. It also looks like I have the markers in the wrong spot anyway, so I need to move them.

Ben Strege  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:42:51 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post
I should probably move one of the markers to the eastern access to show it can be used. It also looks like I have the markers in the wrong spot anyway, so I need to move them.

I fixed the map and showed the entry points in different spots. However, you can use either place to access the Duncan and Daniels entry points.

Here is the alternative loop starting at the east end of West Bearskin and ending at the west end of Clearwater - West Bearskin to Clearwater Loop

Edited by user Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:45:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TuscaroraBorealis  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 5:43:54 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
We did a trip through Daniel's a couple of years ago. Here's a link to the trip report. http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=trip.report_view&sel_trp_id=3627

Hope it helps.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 3, 2015 5:49:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked TuscaroraBorealis for this useful post.
01richwood on 6/3/2015(UTC), Canoer97 on 6/6/2015(UTC)
01richwood  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 9:47:05 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: TuscaroraBorealis Go to Quoted Post
We did a trip through Daniel's a couple of years ago. Here's a link to the trip report. http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=trip.report_view&sel_trp_id=3627

Hope it helps.

Thanks so much! There's some helpful info in your trip report for sure. I will look at your report in more detail when I have the time.

Canoer97  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2015 8:11:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The one problem I see would be the trip across Pine. Heading west could be a bear depending on what time of day you cross it.
thanks 1 user thanked Canoer97 for this useful post.
01richwood on 6/6/2015(UTC)