Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hicks  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2015 12:26:48 PM(UTC)

Just curious if anyone has any info on campsite 1041 on Malberg lake. Plan on staying there but a little hesitant considering every campsite but those two on the west of Malberg have ratings and those two dont. ANY information would be greatly appreiciated! 

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2015 2:08:53 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I've been past it, but don't have any specific info on it. It looks OK from the water, but I don't know anything beyond that.

I know campsite 1042 has a sand beach. That one is 4 or 5 stars, depending on who you talk to. I haven't stopped there myself, so I don't have any photos. I just remember the sand beach when I went by.

Since you are going up that way, you could consider Amber Lake. One of my all-time favorites. However, there is only one good campsite on the lake. If you don't get it, it is quite a paddle back to another site. But if you do get it, the campsite is 5 stars - great tent pads, kitchen, sand beach, good fishing, and the lake to yourself. We were there for a week once and didn't see anyone else on the lake. Another time we went in at Kawishiwi planning on going to Amber. We didn't see anyone else while going in until we got to Amber (that was a disappointment) - and it was a long paddle back to find another site when we were already tired. It's a risk worth considering.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Hicks on 6/27/2015(UTC)
Canoer97  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2015 5:10:37 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The site on Amber Lake is #1044. I read your review. The pictures of it make me want to camp there someday.