Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AmateurHour  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 8:10:06 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Love this little guy: http://www.emberlit.com/en/ultralight-backpacking-stove. Anyone else have any experience with it?

It disassembles into seven plates that fit into a pouch, and it's crazy lightweight. We'll still bring the MSR fuel stove as a backup and use it once in a while to make sure it still operates, but now fuel canister purchases are a real rarity. It takes practice to learn how to keep the little guy burning properly--it took me half a dozen uses before I figured out how to use larger sticks for lower heat and tiny ones to crank it up--but on a breezy day I've boiled a liter in just a few minutes. It's not great for finesse cooking, long simmers, etc., but I love it for boiling and frying. I almost feel bad about the skeptical interrogation that I gave the sales guy at Canoecopia, but I'm glad I ultimately pulled the trigger and picked up the titanium model.

thanks 1 user thanked AmateurHour for this useful post.
CRZander on 7/2/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 10:07:50 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I've heard good things about this stove, too. Just one question - in a fire ban, is this still considered a "legal-to-use" stove, or is it considered a fire? I'm guessing it would be considered a stove, but just want to make sure.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
BillConner  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 6:37:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I've always understood these are fires and not allowed during a fire ban, but have not checked it out with my friend in the USFS Duluth office.
thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
AmateurHour  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:23:08 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I just gave a call to the SNF office in Duluth to ask about use during a fire ban. The response was unequivocally, "You should just use a fuel stove." I'd hesitate to use it during a ban anyway since wind has a tendency to blow out a gas burner; even a light breeze gets the EmberLit fired up pretty good. Always have a backup plan, right?
thanks 2 users thanked AmateurHour for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 7/15/2015(UTC), CRZander on 7/2/2017(UTC)