Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ryeman  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 3:54:16 PM(UTC)

A group of four, (two fathers and two teenage sons (15 & 14)), heading into East Bearskin and planning to base camp on Pierz, hope to latch on to some Splake. We are also planning side trips to Johnson Falls, the Spaulding mine, and Bench Lake.

Knowing August is the prime time of trout fishing (sarcasm), we have been reviewing the MN DNR surveys of the area, seeking alternatives. A couple lakes like Paddle (circa 1974) and Canoe (circa 1999) seem to be illogical. According to the surveys, Paddle was teaming with game fish, pike, eyes, smb, and pan fish, but Canoe was severally deficient. The two are connect by navigable water. Is this what you found when you were in the area? I would like the boys to be able to have some fishing action. Both boys have been up to the BW once before, but fishing has always been poor to fair. We all have been on more rigorous BW trips previously but would like to have more of a down time trip this time around. So rerouting is not what we want.

We would appreciate any insight to the area fishing. The boys also want to know if swimming below the falls is deep enough for jumping (not off the falls) or is it a wade in the only affair.  I am confident August is not too much of a worrisome time for too much water coming over the falls for a swim below.

Thank you,

May your boots dry quickly,

Ryeman

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 7:20:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

TuscaroraBorealis recently posted a trip report on almost this same trip - Canoe basecamp. They didn't have much luck fishing at all during that trip, but then apparently pretty much no one in the BWCA did that week. Hopefully he can give you some more insights than I can since I've never been to that area.

As for the falls, I can't imagine you'll be able to do any jumping. All the pictures I've seen show the water being pretty shallow there.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Ryeman on 7/29/2015(UTC)
TuscaroraBorealis  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2015 7:16:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Yes, we didn't have much luck fishing.  I think it was mostly a poor timing issue.  (At least that's what I keep telling myself)

I also would not recommend jumping at Jphnson Falls.

We didn't try it, but Paddle lake could be seen from Canoe Lake & didn'tlook like too much work to get back to.  No idea about what fish might be there, but presumably the same as are in Canoe Lake.

Have a great trip!  It is an awesome area - even if fishing was dreadfully poor (for our trip).

thanks 1 user thanked TuscaroraBorealis for this useful post.
Ryeman on 7/29/2015(UTC)
overloaded  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2015 9:02:16 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We just got home from east bearskin. We were planning on staying on alder but the sites we wanted were taken. Talked to a group coming off and they tipped us off that canoe was open. A short portage and both campsites were open. We took the one on the west side. Camp set up and off fishing. I hooked into the first fish. 24 inch walleye. I did not think that was a bad way to start. 4 guys fishing and pulled up over 40 eyes the first night.

Next day was Johnson falls. That is a must! Swimming in the lower falls was fun. Make sure you keep your eyes open, there are some great big trees up there! Back to camp, and fishing in paddle lake. Water was too warm and just caught bass there. Back to our sweet spot for the night bite. Fishing was slow but we found out later in the night there was a 33 inch northern swimming around.

3 day. Off to Spaulding mine. On our way my son dropped a perch rap down on crystal. Wind coming out of the west made for a fun ride. Fish on! After a good fight we pulled in a 28 inch eye. Nice fish but we had our hands full trying to keep the canoe straight and not getting rolled so we did not take the time for a picture. Spaulding lake was rough too. The cabin was fun to find. Around 100 yards north east of the creek, or walk up to the big beaver dam and head north. The paddle back was a long one. No fishing. Evening fishing was spent exploring for another hot spot.

Day 4. Off for a splake. Wind was blowing from the west and pierz was rough. Fishing was slow. Only one bass.
Back to canoe. Swimming between paddle and canoe was a great way to spend the afternoon with the kids! Also walked the creek flowing out of paddle to the north. Fun walk. If you look at the map, water coming out of paddle does end up going over Johnson falls. Evening bite was slow.

Day 5. My boys wanted to try trout. Off to crystal. 20 minutes later my son pulled up a 24 inch trout. That was fast I thought. Marked fish in the 45 to 60 foot depth. That was all we needed for a meal so our trout fishing was done quickly. Evening fishing was done right off the portage coming into canoe/alder. Eyes were hitting again.

Over all the fishing was good. 3 1/2 lbs of leeches and we were down to the last dozen when we were done. 95% of the fish were caught on leeches so bring them with ya!

Take a look at staying on canoe. You won't regret it.
Plenty of room for hanging too...

thanks 4 users thanked overloaded for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 7/28/2015(UTC), Canoer97 on 7/29/2015(UTC), Ryeman on 7/29/2015(UTC), AmateurHour on 7/29/2015(UTC)
Ryeman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:58:28 AM(UTC)

Overloaded,

Thank you I look forward to getting in there, and turning the kids on to some fishing. The boys do not need quality but quanity of action. A good varitey of opportunity will help.

Peace

Ryeman

overloaded  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 9:31:56 PM(UTC)

The honey hole that we had the best action at on canoe was were the water from alder flows into canoe. There is a tree laying in the water (west side) that we would tie up to and cast out leech on a slip bobber, around 7 to 8 feet of line. The fish were lying just off the current to the west. We boated over 100 eyes in just that spot. Too many bass to count along with that 33 inch northern came out of there.

Are you taking a depth finder up with you?

thanks 1 user thanked overloaded for this useful post.
Ryeman on 8/25/2015(UTC)
Ryeman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:01:43 PM(UTC)

Thanks, I expect in August they would move deeper. No we do not have a depth finder, just a good map. I may through my buddy overboard and see how far he sinks though

overloaded  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2015 6:53:17 AM(UTC)

Ryeman, how was your trip?
Ryeman  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:12:53 PM(UTC)

We had a  good and wet time. Put in on Monday a.m. 6:00 a.m. paddles wet. Setup camp on Canoe, the center site opened as we were checking out the west site. Most of Monday was setup day with a little fishing, a couple snakes for fun, boys caught a couple sunfish, smallish smallies, and a perch right from camp. Beautiful day.  Fish Paddle on Tuesday bunch of small smallies. It started to rain Tuesday evening and did not fully break until Thursday evening. Look at the weather sites we closed in on 2" of rain. Wednesday was spent mostly in camp under the tarp. Spent Thursday afternoon exploring Johnson Falls, this was defiantly the highlight. Friday spent drying out and fishing Canoe, we caught three keeper smallies as an appetizer. Left early Saturday.

A side note: I noticed black splotches on  the outside of a couple of the bass and when we filet them we found black spots about the size of sand . It appears to be a parasite http://maine.gov/ifw/fishing/health/vol2issue9.htm and http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/fisheries/parasites.. We ate them with no noticeable taste affect. and the Fish other than being on a stringer looked healthy. I have seen them before in other fisheries but not in the BWCA.

Despite the poor fishing, and wet weather I know my son and I will be back in hopes of better fishing and more exploration of the area.

Thanks everyone for their insights.

Peace and May your Boots Dry Quickly

Ryeman