Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tab1324  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 12:40:00 PM(UTC)

I'm planning a trip to Sawbill entry with basecamp on Alton.  It turns out the initial group I had planned on (3 people) turned into 10 people, with a number of them kids and newbies..  Was planning for Lake One but went with Sawbill Alton due to large amount of site availability within short reach.

I've read some negatives for Alton is that it can be a pretty large 'party' lake.  That being said, I guess we're guilty this time..  Hoping to find a couple sites close together.

I've rented a solo canoe so my plan is to do day trips from Alton.  Any advice for a soloist day trip would be great - or any advice for the group(s) on Alton would be fabulous as well.  I'm sure we'll do our fair share of fishing over 4 days so any tips on locations / presentation would be helpful too.

Trip report with photos will follow

Thanks all

Tom B.

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 7:15:15 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Sounds like you are splitting into two groups. Just make sure you follow the 9-person, 4-canoe rule - more than 9 people cannot be gathered together at any time or place. (I guess someone will have to stay in camp while everyone else parties.)

I've never been to Sawbill/Alton, so my starting point would be the maps. Hopefully someone can chime in with fishing advice.

Gavia  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:19:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

You want to do solo day trips from Alton? As a dedicated soloist, I strongly advise you to be aware of the weather forecast, especially the wind. So bring a weather radio.

As you may know, lakes are wind tunnels. The actual wind that you experience on a lake is stronger than the forecast, even if the forecast is correct, and it can often come from a different direction. That's because the lake forms a valley that channels the wind from about a 135-degree (or larger) span. Since Alton is a linear, north-south lake, it will, for example, redirect wind coming from anywhere between west-northwest to east-northeast into a northerly, and possibly from an even broader arc than that, depending on the surrounding terrain.

Your best bet will be to head out as early as possible and travel toward where the wind will be coming from later on, like by 10:00 or 11:00 a.m. Then be prepared for a tailwind. On the way back, stay close to the shore that your campsite is on in order to avoid a potentially hazardous lake crossing. If you end up with a tailwind, keep your stern pointed directly into it and shift your weight slightly aft so the end of the boat doesn't get tossed sideways. If that happens you may well broach and capsize. Do not travel obliquely to the waves coming from astern.

If you have to cross the wind, paddle at a right angle to it.  That's right, you paddle parallel to the waves, rising up on the crests and rolling back down into the troughs.  This is quite safe provided your boat is a shallow-arch design, you stay on your knees and keep your body flexible.  Let the boat find its own stability.  This means you move along with it and don't try to keep it level.  Your lower back and hips should feel like you're doing the hula.  Also, pay attention to the size of the waves.  Some of them will toss water in your boat.  When they approach, lean the boat away before the wave reaches you (i.e., lift the windward qunwale by putting more weight on your downwind knee) so the wave goes under the boat instead of trying to go over it.  If the wind is strong enough you may have to paddle leaned like that all the way across.  It's nerve-wracking but once you get the hang of it, you should be OK.  I had to do this on Seagull Lake last year.  It was hard work at the time but fun once I got on land.

I recommend you practice rocking the boat with your knees to get a good feel for how flexible and loose your lower back needs to be.  Also, practice paddling while leaning the boat.  If you have to cross the wind you'll be glad you did.  Even if you don't have to paddle crosswind, it's a good skill to have.  You'll find the boat is more responsive and tracks better, too.

I'm not sure what to tell you if you can't kneel.  A sitting position is inherently less stable than kneeling.  In that case, I'd say you shouldn't do solo day trips unless the wind forecast is quite mild - no more than 5-10 mph.  (For what it's worth, my perspective comes from 14 BW trips - 8 of them solo - and several years as an ACA canoeing instructor.)

And, oh yeah, have fun!

Edited by user Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:41:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Gavia for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 9/15/2015(UTC), AmateurHour on 9/16/2015(UTC)
eagle98mn  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2015 10:53:24 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)

I love launching at Sawbill, although I have always been headed further than Alton. Sawbill Outfitters run a fantastic operation right at the entry point. Nothing beats a hot shower right after you get off the lake on your final day!

As for Alton, I have only crossed it coming from Kelso in the north back toward Sawbill. Kelso is really pretty and might be a nice daytrip, espcially if you can get up into the Kelso River on the north end. However, I don't think its known for any great fishing. You could probably cross back into Sawbill and over to Smoke for another chance at fishing, though that is another lake I just crossed without fishing myself, the DNR report just looks better. I would not daytrip north out of Sawbill - there really isn't anything that direction until you get to Cherokee. I can't speak to the "Lady Chain" lakes west of Alton.

I think there are supposed to be a couple sandy beach sites on Alton that may be nice...see sites 846 and 849.

Hope this helps a little. Have fun!