Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hammond  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 10:48:55 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I'll be headed to Quetico Provincial Park, for my first time, in early June '16, with the idea of paddling for 7 days/6 nights. We'll start at Nym Lake, and make the loop I'm linking to below. I like this, as it's the perfect amount of time I have to devote to this trip, and the portage distance/number of portages seems pretty favorable compared to previous experience at Killarney & Algonquin.

Nym Lake Loop

I'd be interested to read your thoughts and comments on this loop, and your suggestions on alternatives.

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 12:15:45 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

We went from Nym Lake last year but did a different loop - our Nym Lake route. So I can't offer too much about your route specifically. In fact, I'm looking at taking my scout troop to the same area you are looking at. They decide on a route next week, so we'll see what they want to do...

This area has very large lakes, so be prepared for wind and waves. What makes it worse is the lakes are all oriented west to east, and with prevailing westerlies, it can get rolling.

I noticed your route went up through Oriana and Hamburg instead of through Jesse. Michelle at Voyageur Wilderness Programme told us the portages from Hamburg are in pretty poor shape, and it is easier to go through Jesse. Just FYI.

I do want to say that we had a great experience at Voyageur Wilderness Programme. We have all of our own gear, so we didn't rent anything. We just needed lodging for the night before and showers on the way out. They were great - cabins are nice, they gave us a good breakfast, and it was nice starting right from their dock that morning. I would highly recommend them if you are going through Nym. They are located on an island in the middle of Nym Lake - the "VWP" icon on the interactive maps shows where they are.

Hammond  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 5:38:04 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the heads up Ben & your route info. You mentioned the only concern I had with this route, being the larger lakes and wind possibilities. We had a similar issue on our Opeongo loop at Algonquin last year. At the very least it's very energy draining, and we had to pull off the lake to wait it out for a couple hours.

I've had a conversation with Michelle at VWP, and your'e right, she's great. She was very helpful and I'd be inclined to direct whatever business to her I could. I own everything I need, but would gladly shop at her outfitters or recommend her/VWP to anyone needing anything.

BillConner  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:33:12 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I've been on the western end of your loop and you might want to go a little further west in Quetico Lake to see the pictographs and the more western passage to Cirrus. Just a thought.
Hammond  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:20:31 PM(UTC)

Bill - it's a good thought, and a definite reason why we are including those lakes on this loop.
BillConner  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:47:45 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I assume you understand where I mean. But I also went into that pond through which your route portages into Cirrus - just in for a while and out - and it was nice. Quiet, neat site, etc. Very nice all around there.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:14:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Terry  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:47:29 PM(UTC)

As as alternative to Nym, you could use the Sue Falls entry for a shorter loop. If you do use Nym, I suggest skipping the short paddle in the middle of the portage to Batchewaung.
Ben Strege  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2016 2:44:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Terry Go to Quoted Post
If you do use Nym, I suggest skipping the short paddle in the middle of the portage to Batchewaung.

Are you talking about the alternate two short portages instead of the one longer one? I think just about everyone does the one long portage instead. It isn't too bad until you get close to Batchewaung - it gets kind of steep there. Otherwise it is wide and clear. Michelle from VWP also suggested we take the one long one instead of the two short ones.

Joe_Schmeaux  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:47:03 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Looks like a great trip!

For portage info, you might want to also check out the database at quietjourney.com. Most of the stuff is a few years old, but things usually don't change that much from year to year.

You've probably figured out that you can do essentially the same loop using either the Sue Falls or Beaverhouse entry points instead of Nym. I've always liked Beaverhouse - you seem to be able to leave the crowds behind much more quickly than when starting at the other entry points. Of course "crowds" in Quetico has a much different meaning from what you might be used to in Algonquin :)

Hammond  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 4, 2016 11:40:42 AM(UTC)

Joe - truth be told, I initially was looking at starting in Beaverhouse for that very reason, and really wanted to make it work, but to your point, it's the same loop and adds a significant chunk of drive time. I was then planning on Sue Falls, but Michelle at VWP (very helpful!) recommended amending that to Nym Lake. paddle season is soon can't wait....