Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sluggman42  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:53:53 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Going to be putting in at Snowbank and possibly heading through Ahsub.  I read that there are Brook Trout there.  Curious if anyone can actually confirm that and/or has any idea how to fish for em....  Caught plenty of Lakers and a few Rainbow out in Wyoming, but I don't know the first thing about Brookies. Be one more species to add to the caught (and hopefully released) list. 

Thanks for any thoughts....    Oh, and why is the maximum number of characters in a post 32767? seems really random.... 

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 7:58:05 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

It does have brook trout. It is also a designated trout lake, so you'll need a trout stamp to fish it. As for how to fish for them, I haven't the faintest clue...

Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 8:03:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Sluggman42 Go to Quoted Post
Oh, and why is the maximum number of characters in a post 32767? seems really random....

Here we are getting into the IT realm and computer science. Memory in a computer is based on bits. Bits in a computer are binary (ones and zeros), so maximum lengths for anything are usually something like "2 to the power of (some number)." In this case, 2^15 = 32768. I'm assuming the program needs the last bit for something.

AmateurHour  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 11:00:03 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Sluggman42 Go to Quoted Post
Oh, and why is the maximum number of characters in a post 32767? seems really random....

Here we are getting into the IT realm and computer science. Memory in a computer is based on bits. Bits in a computer are binary (ones and zeros), so maximum lengths for anything are usually something like "2 to the power of (some number)." In this case, 2^15 = 32768. I'm assuming the program needs the last bit for something.

Most computer counting starts at zero, so in those cases 2^15 characters equates to characters 0 - 32767. In other cases the text has one space reserved for an invisible terminating character, so you only get to use the length minus one.

Edited by user Friday, February 19, 2016 11:08:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

patphillips  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2016 6:51:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I was there last June. We didn't catch any trout but we did catch little smallmouth bass. 

TuscaroraBorealis  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:51:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Ahsub is on a main travel route, making it one of the easiest BWCA brook trout lakes to access. Consequently (in my experience )the fishery is impacted accordingly. My last few visits only produced several small smallies as well. Still you never know...

Try some small rapalas or spoons. Nig htcrawlers are also an option. Good luck!