Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SmileAlways.net  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 2:19:17 AM(UTC)

Hi everyone,

So my family and I are going to Quetico for the 3rd time July 31- to Aug. 7th. I don't know about you but a week just isnt enough so I was planing on staying another 4 to 5 weeks soloing. The problem is I don't know where I should go.

Were going in at Nym Lake and I will be paddling back so they can be picked up so that would be my starting point. I then would like to do a big loop, I can be picked up either at Nym, Beaver House, or Staton Bay.

Does anyone have some suggestions on a loop? I would like it to be a loop that would allow time to stay at some of the sites for 2 days. I want to cover some distance but not make it a marathon, and finally try to visit less traveled interior areas.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 7:38:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I'm a bit jealous  With that kind of time, you can see pretty much everything. On your travel days, how far do you want to go? How about portages - would the "Death March" portages going into Delahey be a problem?

SmileAlways.net  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 10:53:09 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post

I'm a bit jealous  With that kind of time, you can see pretty much everything. On your travel days, how far do you want to go? How about portages - would the "Death March" portages going into Delahey be a problem?

I am down for almost anything, I figured with 5 weeks time I could see the best the park has to offer and someone would have some good suggestions. When I am with the family we base camp, when I have gone with friends we trip and portage every day, I like portages its a challenge I enjoy and if you don't you miss some of the beauty of the park.

Thanks

SmileAlways.net  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 11:30:25 AM(UTC)

Also I have 32 days in the park, not a full 5 weeks.

Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:23:31 PM(UTC)

What about something like this? - Poet Chain, Namakan River

Or this one - Poet Chain, Sturgeon, Jesse

I figure if you are going to be in the park that long, you have to pass through Delahey, which is the center of the park. The poet chain is also nice (Russell, Chatterton, Keats, Shelley) with some good falls to view along the way.

On the first link, Lac La Croix and the Namakan River aren't in the park per se, but still would probably be worth it. Chris Hoepker wrote a trip report in which they go up the Namakan. Since you leave the park on this loop, you may have to stop at the Lac La Croix ranger station to pick up another permit to reenter, but I'm not really sure how this would all work. You could call the ranger station to find out. The only issue I potentially see is wind on Lac La Croix. The other one goes through Delahey but then swings up to Sturgeon and Jesse to avoid Lac La Croix. On this one, you may have an issue going upstream to Sturgeon (depending on water levels). You could reverse these routes, but then you would have wind issues on Pickerel, Cirrus, etc.

On these routes, I assumed 16 travel days at 4 hours per day at most. So there is a lot of leeway.

SmileAlways.net  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 9:48:16 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post

What about something like this? - Poet Chain, Namakan River

Or this one - Poet Chain, Sturgeon, Jesse

I figure if you are going to be in the park that long, you have to pass through Delahey, which is the center of the park. The poet chain is also nice (Russell, Chatterton, Keats, Shelley) with some good falls to view along the way.

On the first link, Lac La Croix and the Namakan River aren't in the park per se, but still would probably be worth it. Chris Hoepker wrote a trip report in which they go up the Namakan. Since you leave the park on this loop, you may have to stop at the Lac La Croix ranger station to pick up another permit to reenter, but I'm not really sure how this would all work. You could call the ranger station to find out. The only issue I potentially see is wind on Lac La Croix. The other one goes through Delahey but then swings up to Sturgeon and Jesse to avoid Lac La Croix. On this one, you may have an issue going upstream to Sturgeon (depending on water levels). You could reverse these routes, but then you would have wind issues on Pickerel, Cirrus, etc.

On these routes, I assumed 16 travel days at 4 hours per day at most. So there is a lot of leeway.

Thanks so Much! I think I am going to do some more reserach and put somethought into the second suggestion. That looks like a good route for me with some leeway as you said. And I wanted to do death march. Is there anything along that route that I should for sure check out?

Thanks agian,

Josh

Ben Strege  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 8:35:04 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: SmileAlways.net Go to Quoted Post
Is there anything along that route that I should for sure check out?

I've done a lot of that route during different trips, but I haven't been on the whole thing. Knowing that, this is a short list:

• Chatterton Falls on Russell
  • Snake Falls on Keats
  • Never been there myself, but you could try to find the Montgomery Creek pictographs
  • The Olive Jar cache on Delahey
  • I hear there are some good pictographs on Cirrus

SmileAlways.net  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 12:22:30 PM(UTC)

Thanks!

So I was wondering if my route should include a stop at the edge of the park and find an outfitter to resupply. I am starting to plan out the food and I am not sure if its going to be reasonable to carry 32 days worth of food. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Josh

Ben Strege  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 1:18:23 PM(UTC)

I've never done a trip that long, but if I had to guess for myself, I could probably carry all of my food in one or two packs. I don't eat much, though.

Resupplying would mean you don't have to carry one month's worth of food with you. You can also be resupplied with fresh (or at least "fresher") food. For example, we always bring bread and cheese, but that only stays good for a little over a week. After a week or two, without resupplying, you basically would be eating MRE-type food for the rest of the month.

On my first trip to the Quetico when I was 12 years old, I met a lady who had been there for 30 days. The longest she had ever been out was 90 days. She grew sprouts for food. From what I remember (it was a long time ago), I think she said she didn't eat much fish. Fish is an option but not a guaranteed meal.

BillConner  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 8:10:55 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
My food is in the 3+ pounds per day range. I hear of people who get to 1 1/2 pounds - I'm not interested. So the last 16 days is between 24 and 50+ pounds you have to carry the first 16 days. Pretty simple. I go for leisure and enjoyment, and don't have anything to prove to myself or others, and would enjoy the fresh food resupply and not having an extra portage round-trip for 16 days. And a few almost cold beers after 16 days would be nice.
Will  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 6:01:22 PM(UTC)

Something to think about if doing the Death March:  Campsites on Delahey are sparse.  There is one great camp on one of the islands that holds the olive jar.  My group pushed a long day into Delahey from the north planning to base there 2 days. Then we were going to go out through the Death March on fresh legs and lighter packs.  The island site was taken by "researchers" that summer.  We made a small site on the eastern shore of Delahey.  It was that or go back a couple lakes.  The Death March is a long walk through a couple beaver ponds and was pretty well maintained.  There are abundant campsites on the Conmee side of the march.  The farther to the interior you go the less established campsites get.  That can be good or bad depending on your preference.

MagicPaddler  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 8:05:07 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Rookie
I did a 14 day loop out of Nym last year and went through some areas that were some of the best I have been in. Here is a link to the report.
https://www.hammockforum...ackers-Jamboree-Part-1-5
The area that I liked the best was after I got past Poohbah. I did not have enough time and moved through those lakes too fast.
SmileAlways.net  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:17:49 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: BillConner Go to Quoted Post
My food is in the 3+ pounds per day range. I hear of people who get to 1 1/2 pounds - I'm not interested. So the last 16 days is between 24 and 50+ pounds you have to carry the first 16 days. Pretty simple. I go for leisure and enjoyment, and don't have anything to prove to myself or others, and would enjoy the fresh food resupply and not having an extra portage round-trip for 16 days. And a few almost cold beers after 16 days would be nice.

Bill I like your style, that is the attitude I have, I am not trying to see every edge of the park, my goal is to fish first, trip second, I am not trying to prove anything except to myself. I want to cover a good amount of ground, just not as much as most people would probably do. Then again I see people caneoing in Quetico without a fishing pole and it buggles my mind, but thats me.

Thanks for the insight,

Josh

BillConner  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:01:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SmileAlways.net Go to Quoted Post
<p>
Originally Posted by: BillConner Go to Quoted Post
My food is in the 3+ pounds per day range. I hear of people who get to 1 1/2 pounds - I&#39;m not interested. So the last 16 days is between 24 and 50+ pounds you have to carry the first 16 days. Pretty simple. I go for leisure and enjoyment, and don&#39;t have anything to prove to myself or others, and would enjoy the fresh food resupply and not having an extra portage round-trip for 16 days. And a few almost cold beers after 16 days would be nice.
<br />
<br />
Bill I like your style, that is the attitude I have, I am not trying to see every edge of the park, my goal is to fish first, trip second, I am not trying to prove anything except to myself. I want to cover a good amount of ground, just not as much as most people would probably do. Then again I see people caneoing in Quetico without a fishing pole and it buggles my mind, but thats me.</p><p>Thanks for the insight,</p><p>Josh</p>

Now I'll discredit myself and tell you I don't fish. Scenery and solitude (at least off the grid) are my main motivations.
mvp  
#15 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 9:55:43 PM(UTC)

Hi Josh
Something I did on a longer trip was Bearpelt Lake through Bearpelt creek to Wolsely. Was thoroughly enjoyable; we did it in early august too. But you should check the water levels as it can dry up and make it tough sledding. I don't think we say anyone for about one week on that portion, and we ate fish everyday, if my memory serves. I'd love to do it again but so much of the park is unseen, and I only have 16 days this year; we are putting in in early august too.
cheers
Martti