Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Walter Eyed Pike  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:06:07 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

What's everyone's input on GPS's?  Do you use one, do you like them?  

Here are my thoughts--- I would like to have one for emergency use, perhaps maybe the SPOT unit?  I am also considering to get one to then put a lake chip in for topographic/contour lines for fishing-- that is a main focus for me and the group I go with and I believe that will provide us with a better opportunity to find Lake Trout, as well as that hidden structure that Walleye hang on. 

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 11:40:23 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I bring a GPS and a SPOT.

I don't use the GPS to navigate (I find a map and compass much easier to use and much more reliable). I turn it on and then don't look at it until I get home again. I use the tracks to update portages, campsites, etc. on the website. I also enjoy looking at my speeds and to remember what I did every day. I don't have a fancy GPS since this is all I use it for. I don't even have any maps loaded on it - it's just a white background everywhere.

I use the SPOT for two reasons. First is the peace of mind that if something goes wrong, I most likely have a way of getting help. It's not perfect, and it always has to be with you, but it is better than nothing (what we used to do). I still have to be careful so nothing goes wrong, but if it does... The other reason is for the people at home. I always tell them not to worry if they don't get an "OK" message - I probably just forgot or the message didn't go through. But it is fun for them to see where we are. My dad likes following our little dot on the map.

eagle98mn  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:08:01 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)

I don't use either. From a navigational perspective, I just enjoy using my map and compass too much to give it up. I'm not an avid enough fisherman for the contours to make much of a difference to me either, though I definitely see the value.

As for the SPOT, (I hope I never live to regret these words) I guess I am playing the odds that I won't have a serious enough situation that I can't get out and get help. I might feel different if I was a solo tripper, but I feel comfortable in a group that we can take care of each other. That said, there is still that part of me that asks "what if?" I just can't justify the $100+ annual subscriptions for a service I would need 2-3 times per year. Instead, I just leave a detailed route plan back home with instructions to call for help if I am not in touch on the expected exit date.

BillConner  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:07:45 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I carry a spot for same reasons as Ben. (And it hasn't missed sending a message since I learned to let it sit and auto off. Too easy to believe the message sending light means message sent.)

I bought a very simple Etrex on my first trip in 2001. No maps, but coordinates so I can pin point my location on a map, which I've used 5 times in 15 years, 3 just confirming I knew exactly where I was. I use it for time and date, as well as sunrise and sunset time.
Walter Eyed Pike  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:20:34 AM(UTC)

Thanks All for the feedback!  I definitely plan to use a map and compass for the vast majority of the trip-- The Spot sounds more and more intriguing.  The ability to track the dot would be a fun feature that I never thought of, I also have a father who would love to go, but is physically unable, perhaps this will provide him with a sense of "being there."

Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:26:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: eagle98mn Go to Quoted Post
I just can't justify the $100 annual subscriptions for a service I would need 2-3 times per year.

My SPOT subscription just automatically renewed, and I was surprised to see that the price went up to $150 per year (from $100). I haven't decided yet what to do...

Several outfitters rent SPOTs for very reasonable prices ($20-25 per week usually). The only reason it would make sense to buy your own SPOT is if you take several canoe trips or use it for other types of outdoor adventures such as hiking. You will still be able to send someone a link to "see you on a map" if you rent from an outfitter.

thanks 2 users thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Walter Eyed Pike on 5/12/2016(UTC), eagle98mn on 5/19/2016(UTC)
Walter Eyed Pike  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:47:20 PM(UTC)

Thanks Ben!  I wasn't aware of the ability to rent them, I will surely be checking with our outfitter! 

helmrf  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:03:36 PM(UTC)

When my wife and I went in the 90s, map and compass was the only way. I still remember a foggy AM when I hit the portage “spot on” via compass and map. That said, when my son and I have gone these past few years I keep the map/compass combo out as well as an Etrex20. My general strategy is to set a course on the Etrex the evening before we move and then monitor both it and the maps when we travel (we tend to “base camp” a couple of days at a site, have a travel day, 10-15 miles or so, then “base camp” again). The Etrex monitors my wayward/off course canoeing better than I do by eyesight (my wife calls it my girlfriend). I find it really useful when the wind is up as that is when one gets most off course.  I don’t use SPOT, tho’ I would if I went by myself. Using rechargeable batteries I can get 7 days out of one set before I have to change.

BillConner  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:15:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I had to look at mine to see what model. It's just x 10 or 20 or any of ore sophisticated ones. Still works. I carry fresh batteries but haven't changed then in years.