Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nm1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:51:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)

While accumulating gear for a paddle trip I couldn't find my Garmin eTrex unit, and realized that my iPhone 6+ might make a reasonable substitute, while providing a color screen 3 or 4 times the size of the Garmin.

I found 'Map Plus' at Apple's app store. I believe the basic app is free, but there are in-app purchases that drove the price to around $18. This may have been the best money I've ever spent on tech. Rather than think about which of the various in-app options I wanted I just bought them all. I soon decided that the author had done such a good job that he deserved every penny.

First, to get an estimate of power consumption, I put the phone in both airplane mode and low power mode (simultaneously) and ran the app around home on my phone for ~24 hours. (Obviously, it wasn't working as a phone or internet device at the time.) The battery waned by roughly 1% per hour in this way, all the while recording my position every 5 minutes or so. Extrapolating, that should be good for a 4-day trip. For insurance, I bought a 6800mAH external battery from Jackery. This would let me recharge in the wild. More testing showed that the Jackery unit should be good for an extra 140% on the phone, beyond the original charge.

I then downloaded the BWCA & Quetico campsites and portages from paddleplanner. 

At that point I had everything I needed, and started playing with the base maps. This was the geekiest part of the exercise, and the part that took the longest to figure out. You have your choice of several base maps (USGS Topo, satellite photo, ThunderForest and several other variants). For a trip off-grid, you should pre-download the base map you like for the area of interest. You can specify that area as a simple rectangle or as a complex polygon. The latter can save lot of memory if you crank up the resolution. The choice of which resolutions to pull down took some head-scratching. They range from level 1 (very coarse) to 20 (extremely-detailed). I found that downloading levels 1 through 15 was plenty, and didn't consume too much memory on the phone. Choice of base map will be a personal preference. If you're serious about fishing, you'll find depth countours for some BWCA lakes on some base maps but not on most. Of course if you're using your phone this way you'll probably consume more battery because the screen will be on a lot.

In the end, I left the GPS (and my digital camera) at home and just brought the phone (and real maps of course). It worked beautifully. I started with 100%, and had 2% left when I returned to the put-in after 103 hours (4 nights), all without using the external battery. I'll admit I turned the phone off for a few hours on two nights. On the other hand, I discovered that there was cell reception on Cummings lake, and 'tuned in' to get internet weather forecasts a couple of times.

If I owned stock in Garmin I think I'd sell it right away. The only advantage I see in a dedicated GPS unit is that they're better waterproofed and ruggedized. I kept my phone in a ziplock in a zipped pocket of my life jacket most of the time, but still worried about cracking or drowning it.

thanks 3 users thanked nm1 for this useful post.
Canoer97 on 8/24/2016(UTC), Ben Strege on 8/24/2016(UTC), CRZander on 7/2/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
Gavia  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 4:44:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

That sounds great. For Android users, I recommend Backcountry Navigator, the Pro version (about $12). A user guide is available for download, but it still takes a bit to figure out how to use it. Patience pays off in this case because it works very nicely. I haven't done the extensive analysis and testing that nm1 has, but I can tell you this:

- It will take .gpx and .kmz files so you can download just about any map data.

- It has a similar array of topo maps and imagery. Better preload with a GB or two before downloading any big maps.

- It has a feature that enables the user to save a map area so it can be used without an Internet connection. This is where the download sizes can get pretty big.

- It records tracks but doesn't seem to allow creation of routes from within the program.  If you load it with multiple routes (which it calls tracks) and waypoints in the same trip database, they will appear all at once.  But it's an easy matter to turn off the ones you don't want to see.  So if you've laid out half a dozen possible routes between EP14 and EP16 but you want to see only three of them you just uncheck the boxes for the ones you want to hide.  Same with waypoints. 

- I use MapSource, Garmin's desktop GPS program, which can make .gpx files as well as the standard .gdb. So I laid out a route, e.g., between EP14 and EP16 and around Lac La Croix. Another is from between Lake One and Snowbank. The route appears as a solid line (you choose the color and width). When you're on the trail it shows your location. This makes it easy to get "unlost" - which is what I use(d) my GPS for.

The original reason I got this app was for road cycling, and it works well as long as I'm using a preloaded route. On a BW trip I use paper maps with the GPS as backup.

I have a Motorola MotoG 3rd generation, which is shock resistant and waterproof. A case with a lanyard keeps it in the boat.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 24, 2016 4:47:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gavia for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 8/24/2016(UTC)
Mapsguy1955  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 12:53:19 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anyone use GAIA GPS?