Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chris Hoepker  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2016 4:33:08 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)

When clicking on a campsite photo thumbnail, PaddlePlanner takes me to a photo viewer and I can view all photos pertaining to that campsite in usefully sized display. This is very convenient. Congratulations!

What I'd really like to have would be a photo viewer that would let me successively view all photos in an album - in a large format, preferably full screen.

Presently, when I click on a photo in an album, I get the location/edit view and clicking on the small photo therein takes me to the large, nearly full screen, view. I really like viewing photos as large as my screen allows, but it gets a little tedious going back and forth between the album and the large view for every photo.

A small request to fellow paddlers posting photos: How about giving more of your photos a title with at least the name of the lake?

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2016 10:08:51 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Chris Hoepker Go to Quoted Post

What I'd really like to have would be a photo viewer that would let me successively view all photos in an album - in a large format, preferably full screen.

What I have been planning on doing is having the photo album act like clicking on a photo on the map. When you click on a photo on the map, it makes it almost full screen, and you can use the arrow keys to see the rest of the related photos (for the campsite, portage, place, etc.). It is a pretty easy change; I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Is this what you are looking for?

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Chris Hoepker on 9/18/2016(UTC)
Chris Hoepker  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2016 3:37:25 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I could see that being quite beneficial for specific places like portages, campsites, entry points. In a way that is already available when viewing the information in the sidebar that opens up when the place is clicked on - I just click on a photo thumbnail and I get the viewer, which is about 60% as large as my 24'' screen. For the purpose of trip reconnaissance, completely adequate. Having to click on the place on the map and find the photos in the information sidebar is for me completely satisfactory. Not having to open the sidebar would not be a huge advantage for me because when reconnoitering, I tend to want to read the rating/comments anyway.

I have just noticed that clicking on one photo on a portage or a small stream takes me to the viewer where I can see all the photos that have been posted for that portage/stream. That feature deserves a big thumbs up.

My post was more directed at the photo albums. The albums posted are for the most part photographic reports of paddlers' canoe trips. Looking at the photos in an album is a way of experiencing that person's adventure. It would be nice to be able to click on an album and get to a viewer wherein the photos in that album could be viewed one after another, preferably full screen.

Another issue with albums is the order of the photos. I generally try to post my photos in order of the canoe route and I like to view photos in an album the same way. It would be nice if there were a way that a contributor could determine the order that the photos are in.
Gavia  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 12:47:18 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
How about this: right-click on the photo and open in a new window. When you want to go back to the album, press Ctrl-W. The new window will close and you'll be back at the previous page.
thanks 1 user thanked Gavia for this useful post.
Chris Hoepker on 9/18/2016(UTC)
Chris Hoepker  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 2:17:28 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I just tried that and it does work. It's just that upon right clicking and opening in a new window, I still have to go through the photo edit page where I left click on the photo to get the big view. Getting back to the album via Ctrl-W is faster than the way I've been doing it and I do very much appreciate the tip.

What i have been doing in left clicking on the photo in the album, which takes me to the photo edit page where i left click on the photo to get the big view. To get back I click the go back arrow and get back to the photo edit page and then another back arrow click to get back to the album. Kind of tedious!

Although your tip is really helpful, I still think a photo viewer would be a really nice thing to have.
Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 5:50:36 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Let's see if I can communicate what I have in mind for the photo albums.

What I have in mind is making the photos in the album smaller - closer to thumbnail size. You would click on a photo and it would pop up and display like the photos do on the map. You would also be able to scroll through the photos in order just like you could campsite photos on the map. The one thing I want to add to the popup is the description/comments. You would be able to get to the edit screen by clicking on the photo title.

I agree with the photo order thing. I have been planning on adding it in, too. Any other suggestions?

Chris Hoepker  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2016 12:28:08 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I agree completely with the photo viewer idea. Having the description/comments appear along with the popup would be icing on the cake.

The ability to order the photos would be a big help. To me, the best would be if it could be done by dragging the thumbnails around in a grid or list.

I'm almost ashamed to make other suggestions if the above stuff got taken care of. On the other time, if Christmas is here anyway: When I enter the locations for photos, I have to, for each photo, click on the line for location and then the map comes up. It would be nice if the map that came up would have the same appearance as for when I entered the location of the previous photo. (Sort of like in some computer applications when doing a save-as with a file - the last used folder comes up.

P.S. I forgot to login. #7 was my post.
Ben Strege  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2016 6:14:39 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: Chris Hoepker Go to Quoted Post
When I enter the locations for photos, I have to, for each photo, click on the line for location and then the map comes up. It would be nice if the map that came up would have the same appearance as for when I entered the location of the previous photo.

This does happen if you are using the upload tool - at least if you are uploading multiple photos. The upload tool works best if you are uploading photos of the same location. Even better, if the photos are geotagged already, the tool will detect the location and enter it for you.

For the traditional/classic way that you mentioned, I don't think it would be too hard. I'll have to work on it (along with everything else ).

Chris Hoepker  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:54:03 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I really like being able to click on photo icons on the map and having the photo viewer come up. Great feature!

Come to think of it, this feature is something like the photos on Google Earth and Street View in Google Maps and useful to me in the same way. When planning any trip, canoe or otherwise, I open up the digital map and look at photos along the route.
Ben Strege  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:47:28 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I still have plans to change the album viewer, too. I haven't forgotten it 

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply