Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dlaiho5  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 10:44:29 PM(UTC)

I was hoping some one would have some info on possible routes for a trip with kids. We have three adults and three kids (ages 7, 12, and 14). We are hopinh for a 4 night 5 day trip. Looking forward to any info/ help. 

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 11:11:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I'll just post a little now and come back later with some more advice. I've taken my 2 kids on a few canoe trips. The first one was with my wife when the kids were 4 years old and 6 months old. I took the older one by myself when he was 5. Last year I took him when he was 6 with some friends and their sons.

First, when canoeing with younger children, the trip is all about them. It is a very different experience than a normal canoe trip - still very rewarding (if not more so), but very different.

Second, it is a lot of work. When I did the trip with just my 5-year-old, I realized it was more work than soloing. I not only had to take care of camp all by myself, but I also had to cook for two, make sure he was safe and entertained, and deal with the inevitable emotional issues.

Third, and probably most important for now, don't plan too much. My experience with 7 and 8 year olds is that they can stand about 2 hours of paddling. After that, good luck. Also, unless they are used to walking a long way, make sure portages on the route are short.

All this being said, your situation is a little different than mine. You will also have a 12 and 14 year old with you. They can handle some of the work. Teenagers come with their own problems, though  (I've taken a couple of Boy Scout troops on week-long trips.)

I don't intend to discourage you from taking your kids. To the contrary, I am committed to helping kids/teenagers experience the beauty and wonder of the Boundary Waters. I am planning on taking my sons (now ages 7 and 3) many times this coming summer. I just want you to know what to expect. I'll give some route suggestions in a bit - I have a few in mind.

Chichi  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:48:56 AM(UTC)

Hi dlaiho5. Have you decided on a route at all? I'm looking at a similar situation and want to get into Quetico. Have been looking at going in at Beaverhouse and doing Cirrus, Kasakokwog, Quetico loop over 7 days, which I'm thinking should leave plenty of time to have short days on the water or if we're wind-bound. We'll have 2 canoes - a 10yr old with Dad in one, and a 13yr old with Mom in another. So not super-strong paddling. These are big lakes so I'm hoping that sticking close to shore and leaving lots of time will make it enjoyable for everyone.
Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:04:41 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Chichi Go to Quoted Post
Hi dlaiho5. Have you decided on a route at all? I'm looking at a similar situation and want to get into Quetico. Have been looking at going in at Beaverhouse and doing Cirrus, Kasakokwog, Quetico loop over 7 days, which I'm thinking should leave plenty of time to have short days on the water or if we're wind-bound. We'll have 2 canoes - a 10yr old with Dad in one, and a 13yr old with Mom in another. So not super-strong paddling. These are big lakes so I'm hoping that sticking close to shore and leaving lots of time will make it enjoyable for everyone.

That's some big water. We used to basecamp on Pickerel by the Rawn Narrows when I was a teenager. My dad and mom would be in a canoe with my youngest sister, and I would be in a canoe with my two other sisters. We were ages 14, 13, and 12. One of the trips was very, very windy, both going in and out. My mom thought she would never see her kids again. I was already an experienced canoeist by then, though, and we handled it all right. It did take us over twice as long to paddle anywhere.

Since you only have one strong paddler in each canoe, you probably won't make much headway on a windy day. I've paddled down Quetico Lake, and I don't think the shore would offer much protection from a west wind. Even a north or south wind turns into a west wind on that lake (it acts like a tunnel).

As for doing a loop, some kids like moving, some would prefer just to basecamp. We basecamped growing up and loved it. I've taken a couple of Boy Scout troops, and I divide them into two groups - ones that want a leisurely "basecamp" trip and those that want to move. Just know your kids and what they want.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Chichi on 6/30/2017(UTC)
Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:10:25 AM(UTC)

Is this the loop you had in mind? - https://goo.gl/1rbkoh

I would say it is doable if your kids are on board with it. I assumed a paddling speed of 2 MPH (about what my scouts would do) and double portaging (although there aren't many portages on the loop).

Chichi on 6/30/2017(UTC)
BillConner  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 7:12:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)

I did that exact loop for my first solo. Good route, and easy to modify, cut short, go longer. Also has everything: pictos, falls, sandy beaches, small burn areas, solitude, and fish. The portage from Cirrus to Kasakowog is the only hard part and not that bad. Five nights but I layed over on BH last full day.
thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Chichi on 6/30/2017(UTC)
Chichi  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 9:13:46 AM(UTC)

Thanks Ben & Bill - that's helpful info. Ben - that's the loop I was thinking of, with the possibility of backtracking if the gang isn't up for the Kasakowog portage. Would you say Cirrus is a bit better than Quetico in the wind, or should we likely expect it to be a wind tunnel too regardless of where the wind is coming from?
Ben Strege  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 9:22:32 AM(UTC)

Would you say Cirrus is a bit better than Quetico in the wind, or should we likely expect it to be a wind tunnel too regardless of where the wind is coming from?

I haven't been on Cirrus myself, but most of the lakes in that region are similarly shaped - narrow east to west. I would think there could be wind issues on any of the lakes.

Chichi on 6/30/2017(UTC)
BillConner  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 8:07:03 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Cirrus was windy the day I paddled it. Staying near North shore was pretty protected and it gets narrow iirc at East end.

Study maps - the portage to Kasakowog was hard for me to find.
thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Chichi on 7/1/2017(UTC)
Chichi  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 3:02:30 PM(UTC)

Would you think crossing Pickerel from Stanton to Brisk or Dore would be any worse wind wise than on Quetico or Cirrus? Looks like there's not a lot of options on Pickerel for finding shelter on the crossing. I thought that might be too much big water, although the smaller chain of lakes after are appealing.
Ben Strege  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 2, 2017 2:01:03 PM(UTC)

Pickerel can be tough. The difference with coming from Stanton Bay is the direction of the waves. If you are coming from French, it is usually in your face. Coming down from Stanton, the waves usually come from the side. There are a few islands to hide behind, but if there is any breeze, Pickerel is rolling. Stanton Bay also really cuts down on the paddling time. Are you familiar with the restrictions on parking in the Stanton Bay parking lot?

Chichi on 7/2/2017(UTC)
Chichi  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 2, 2017 6:07:33 PM(UTC)

Good point on waves from Stanton. I haven't looked into the parking situation there yet but will look that up.
Ben Strege  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 2, 2017 6:10:38 PM(UTC)

Only Canadian residents can park in Stanton Bay overnight. If you are a Canadian resident, no problem. If you're not, you have to hire an outfitter to shuttle you there.

Chichi on 7/10/2017(UTC)
Chichi  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 3:48:30 PM(UTC)

I'm Canadian so could park at Stanton Bay. Seriously looking at that as an option due to the smaller lakes one you get south of Pickerel. Looks like if Pickerel was windy, you could at least tack south-west and south east by some islands until getting to the Rawn Narrows, or maybe up to Pine Portage Bay. I understand that it's a busier part of the park due to it's proximity to the Dawson campground and Thunder Bay, but what is busy like in Quetico in the summer (last 2 weeks of August)? Are we just talking like busy as compared to the rest of the park, or busy as in wait in line at the portage and paddle like stink to get to a camp site before they're gone? I'm used to Algonquin, Killarney & Temagami. Algonquin can be a zoo with lineups for portages and racing to sites. Killarney and some parts of Temagami can also get fairly busy at some portages near popular access points. Temagami has some pretty big water though and you quickly loose the crowd once you're out on the water. I hear busy and think of crowded portages and hope you can paddle faster than the others to get to a decent site.
Ben Strege  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 9:04:58 PM(UTC)

Are we just talking like busy as compared to the rest of the park, or busy as in wait in line at the portage and paddle like stink to get to a camp site before they're gone?

Busy as compared to the rest of the park. It is nothing like Algonquin. I think Algonquin gets about 200,000 visitors per year, and Quetico gets about 20,000. I've never had a crowded portage in the Quetico - I have in the Boundary Waters, and it wasn't fun.

Chichi on 7/10/2017(UTC)
Chichi  
#16 Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 9:41:41 PM(UTC)

Good to know. Thanks.