Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chichi  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 7:36:31 PM(UTC)

I'm looking at the canoing the Beaverhouse, Cirrus, Quetico loop.  I have a prospector style and was going to rent a 2nd canoe - looks like it'd likely be the Souris River Quetico.  It seems to have less rocker than a prospector so i suspect it'd be a little easier to control in wind on the larger lakes (and presumably the reason for the canoe's name!).  What's your canoe style prefernce for these larger lakes, or would you expect to see much of a difference between a prospector and Quetico style?

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 9:09:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Many of the canoes you see in the BWCA/Quetico have little to no rocker because they are for larger lakes. The one I use (Wenonah Minnesota II) has no rocker. There have been times, though, that I wish it did... like my trip down Hog Creek with all of its twists and turns. Generally, though, I like very little rocker because it tracks better.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Chichi on 7/10/2017(UTC)
Chichi  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 10:14:05 PM(UTC)

That's a nice looking canoe. Curious-I've typically used a 16' or 16'6" for tandem, do you use the 18'6" for tandem? Do you find you've got enough weight for it to sit in the water and not catch too much wind?
BillConner  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 6:50:43 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I use a Quetico 17 for two. Usually 3 packs. Loaded, it's perfect for us. Unloaded with two, can be challenging in more than a light breeze. Unloaded with one, we no longer consider it, even a short evening paddle.
thanks 2 users thanked BillConner for this useful post.
AmateurHour on 7/11/2017(UTC), Chichi on 7/11/2017(UTC)
AmateurHour  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:55:29 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Originally Posted by: BillConner Go to Quoted Post
I use a Quetico 17 for two. Usually 3 packs. Loaded, it's perfect for us. Unloaded with two, can be challenging in more than a light breeze. Unloaded with one, we no longer consider it, even a short evening paddle.

Quetico-17 ftw! Ours is awesome in high winds on Sag -- with two of us, a couple of packs, and the food barrels. I ordered Spring Creek's drop-in seat for solo trips, and it turns an experience that's impossible in anything but a dead calm into just a miserable one. Prior to that I'd pile all of my solo packs in the bow and sometimes even bring a couple of cinder blocks. Made those portages REAL fun. I've also taken it into some pretty narrow creeks -- can corner pretty well with some determination and enough four-letter words.

thanks 1 user thanked AmateurHour for this useful post.
Chichi on 7/11/2017(UTC)
Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:38:33 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Chichi Go to Quoted Post
That's a nice looking canoe. Curious-I've typically used a 16' or 16'6" for tandem, do you use the 18'6" for tandem? Do you find you've got enough weight for it to sit in the water and not catch too much wind?

I like the length for large lakes as long as there is gear in the canoe. If there is no gear, it can be difficult in the wind. I don't like the length on creeks - I'm always wishing I didn't have an extra two feet.