Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alisdair  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:06:48 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I'm a passionate BWCA'er - I usually have 2 short trips per year. This one was a 5 day trip from Mudro to Fall at the end of June 2017 with a group of four. 

The trip started with bad, cold weather on day 1. Great paddling down some rapids on day 2. Waterfalls, cooking and fishing on day 3. On day four we had a dangerous capsize near Wheelbarrow Falls and we also rescued a party who had capsized and been dragged down Nestor Falls! In the early hours of day 5 be had a bear in our camp! It was a terrific adventure. I made short videos with a voiceover and posted to youtube: 

DAY 1:

DAY 2: 

DAY 3:

DAY 4:

DAY 5:

used some amazing new gear on this trip that really added value to the experience.  I'm no expert but I'm very happy to share experiences and ideas with anyone who is interested. 

Sponsor
Canoer97  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:03:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)

3 guys and myself made this very trip last September. I was a great trip. Unlike you guys we didn't capsize. My question you is Why did you take four canoes? We took 2 canoes (1 a 13' and the other 14.5") and each of us had our own personal pack, a 100+ lb. food pack and a gear pack (tent, cooking kit, 20x40 tarp and other misc equipment). We for the most single portaged all this to the next lake. We find it easier that way but it can be very trying (especially on me since I'm the oldest (66) and the others 62, 60 and 57). In your video of day 2, I think that is the same campsite on Basswood. This year are tripping to Malberg going in at Entry #37. Days 1 &2 on Polly, days 3 & 4 on Malberg then back to to Polly for days 5 & 6 then out on day 7. This year we will be using a 17' & 20' Kevlar canoes that we purchased used from Sawbill Outfitters earlier this year. It should made a portaging a little easier since they weigh about 15lb lighter than the ones used last year. As I said earlier, we like tripping this way but it is a little trying. I hope your next trip turns out better than this one. Like I always "Once you have been by the Boundary Waters bug you will return again and again.  Oh, I forgot the mention I LOVED your videos very much.

Alisdair  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:39:12 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for your comments!! Great to hear.
I know it's weird that we take a canoe each - it was a considered decision. I usually do solo trips so I have gotten used to the freedom! For me I think the journey is a major part of the experience and I wanted the guys to feel the same and also to have the freedom to each split up and travel alone for spells. But you're right - the price is the extra portaging which has a major affect on the time and effort needed - especially for the long ones.
Pretty sure the guys have all caught 'the bug' - we;'re already planning our next trip ha ha. Thanks for sharing. i hope your trip goes well!

thanks 1 user thanked Alisdair for this useful post.
Canoer97 on 8/23/2017(UTC)