Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rickyberetired  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:48:36 PM(UTC)

My map has the Darky River having portages of 66,62,56,55,64,29 rods. No one can predict water levels but for an end of July 2018 trip anyone know the historical levels during this time period? Also pls consider any issues now that might affect future level. Any info or comments will be greatly appreciated. Rick

Sponsor
Chris Hoepker  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 22, 2017 9:37:29 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
We went up the Darky (now politically correct Darkwater) from Andrews Creek in August 2014 (a year with record high water). The 62 and 66 were characterized by very awkward take-outs and put-ins. The previous 2 or 3 times we went up or down the Darkwater, the water level was definitely lower, but I still remember the portages as having awkward take-outs and put-ins. Also it seemed to me that we had to do 3 portages (instead of 2 as the map shows) between the mouth of Andrews Creek and Darkwater Lake.

On the other hand, we always reached the Darkwater River towards the end of the day and this could have influenced my taking on these portages. I'd be interested to know what other paddlers say about this.