Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Woodweller  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2018 10:21:41 AM(UTC)

My group is going in to Moose Lake next month.  We hope to make Ensign first day and layover on Ensign.  First question, what kind of time are we looking at for the trip up Moose?  And second, is the creek (near campsite 1226 on Ensign) between Ensign and Gibson navigable?  Thanks!

Sponsor
BillConner  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 7:11:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I'd say 2 1/2 - 3 hours Moose EP to Ensign at most.

I can't say for sure about creek, but I strongly doubt it's navigable. Portage through Ashigan.
Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 8:27:24 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

It depends on how fast you paddle, but I think Bill's guess is right on.

Route Finder calculation

As for the creek, I have never heard of anybody doing it, so I doubt it is navigable. There is a portage to Boot skipping the creek, which leads me to believe you can't do it. Looking at the satellite view, it looks like there are parts that could be navigable, but long stretches where it is not. I would not attempt it.

BillConner  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 9:48:15 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I'm glad the calculator corroborated my estimate from memory. I do use 3 mph for paddle, but only 1 1/2 mph for portages and assume double. But my son and I must have some magic at the landings - I think one of us in on our way before the other one gets out of the boat. I 2 minutes but I think we're faster.

We should point out that if its a high wind day, the wind on Moose is usually down the lake. What is usually a 2 hour paddle from EP (actually I'm usually leaving from CCO a 1/4 mile or so further south) to Prairie Portage has been an exciting 4 hours in white caps - either way. You might consider a last minute tow option if tied to a schedule and/or you are not comfortable in adverse weather. Early mornings or late afternoons are usually a little less likely to be snotty, and since we drive from Chicago, I've gotten use to entering late in day and camping at top of Moose. I would NOT go into Ensign late in the day between Memorial Day and Labor Day - especially Thursday to Monday - as it is a very popular lake. I've seldom seen anyone else at any of the five sites on the spit of land between Sucker and Birch. Not necessarily stars, but all OK for a first night. And 1287 on Birch side is quite nice. Yes, you might hear motor traffic at 6:00 or 6:30 but we are usually up and getting ready to go.