Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ktav8r  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 8:29:48 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Ok.  So here's the story.  Fit 61 year old with 5 or so BWCAW trips on my resume. Heading out the last week of September on a solo trip.  I've had an outfitter reccomend a 5 day trip Birch to Knife and workng my way back down Kek, Fraiser, etc. and out Snowbank.  I'm intrested in this route but wondering if all y'all have any other suggestions?  1st solo adventure and thinking I want to avoid big water (last trip was Crooked, Basswood, etc.).  Ely is my needed staging area.  Thanks in advancd for any input you folks have!

Sponsor
BillConner  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 7:18:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
That's a great area. Thinking up Moose, or through Boot and Ensign from Snowbank? Both are good, and there is a route from Snowbank back to Moose EP if you don't want to shuttle. iirc one of the portages from Kek to Fraser is tougher than most but not a killer. I liked the Kek to Knife route vis Eddy and South Arm of Knife but you have a choice there.

Good route, better in September.
ktav8r  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:02:37 PM(UTC)

Bill, Thanks!
I may plan the tow up to the portage from Sucker into Birch but your idea is interesting.

I really appreciate your input!
Gavia  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:34:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

There must be as many 5-day routes as there are people. So I don't need to add my two cents to that subject. However, since this is your first solo trip, I might have something to offer. And that would be in the form of my trip reports, which can be found in the trip report section of this site. You can get ideas about route planning, food, equipment, handling bad weather, and possibly most important, how to handle yourself.

Five days is pretty short. My preference is twice that, because it takes several days for the newness and sense of adventure to wear off. Then it gets interesting. Tripping becomes something of a way of life, especially after you've come to terms with your desire to sleep in your own bed. Five days just doesn't provide enough time to get into the real meat of being alone in the boonies.  The first time I dealt with that was my first 10-day trip in September 2009, it was profound.

If you have trouble accessing my trip reports here, you can find them on my website: http://codabone.net/canoe.htm.

Whatever you do, have a good time!. And of course, please post a trip report.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:38:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ktav8r  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 9:45:49 PM(UTC)

Gavia!

Thanks for the info and the readable and enjoyable trip reports!

I agree with you wholeheartedly...double the time would be great. Alas work and other commitments are my limiting factors. I may be able to extend it a day but that'd be about my limit.

Thanks again for the info and the encouragement.
thanks 1 user thanked ktav8r for this useful post.
Gavia on 8/28/2018(UTC)