Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sluggman42  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 6:42:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

As WCPP is on my bucket list of trips to make....  (2-3 years out hopefully).  Maybe some of you can provide some insight.   First off, I've read that there are no permits needed currently, does this mean that there are no overnight camping fees, like what you would see in Quetico?  

Secondly and perhaps more importantly, route suggestions.  I'm looking, at least for the first trip, for something pretty easy.  I'll hopefully be taking my parents, who while being quite experienced, started going to the BWCA in 1971 and have only missed a couple since, are getting up there in years and simply not able to do as much these days.  I've been kicking around the idea of getting flown in and then picked up a week to a week and a half later, with multiple rest days added in to the schedule. 

That being said, having never been to WCPP, I'm not sure thats worth the cost.  Perhaps its just as good to hit one of the entry points and do some kind of loop or out and back.  Any thoughts/info would be greatly appreciated.  

Enjoy dreaming this winter!  

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2018 6:10:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I don't think there are quotas like the Quetico, but there are still fees. It costs the same as the northern Quetico entry points.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/fees/backcountry/2018

I have never been to WCPP, but I have seriously looked into it for a while. Other people can probably provide better route suggestions than me, though. I would also suggest talking to Harlan at Red Lake Outfitters - he would have some good suggestions for you.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Sluggman42 on 10/28/2018(UTC)
MagicPaddler  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 7:56:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)

I have been there a couple of times.  The park is similar to Quetico and you know what that is like so it’s the differences you need to know.  The portages are flatter and for the most part easier if they are clear.  The portages are maintained although I don’t think they have the number of maintenance crews.  If there has been a blowdown or a fire then a blow down then they can be difficult.  You are more likely to come across a single tree across the portage.  Trees are smaller in WCPP and they blow down easier.  There are a lot less people so you are likely to be the first to cross a portage after a tree has fallen across.  It is nice to have a saw with you for your first trip across the portage. As far as suggested loops I have only been on a couple ant I think they were too long for what you are interested in.

Yes! Enjoy the dreaming.  Let the planning begin.

thanks 2 users thanked MagicPaddler for this useful post.
Sluggman42 on 10/29/2018(UTC), EC on 1/17/2023(UTC)
CedarHill  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2018 12:15:35 PM(UTC)

I have my first ever trip to WCPP booked for June 2019 with my 74yr old father, a bucket list father/son trip.  The best advice I can give you is to call Harlan at Red Lake Outfitters.  Our criteria/wishlist was the following:  about 1 week in the park, excellent fishing (Lake Trout, Pickerel and Pike), easy/short travel days, wildlife, pictographs if possible and a mature forest.  Harlan recommended that we do a fly-in, paddle out trip.  Our plan has us flying to Adventure Lake and then on to Haven - Rostoul - Hansen - Glenn - Optic - Telescopic - Onnie before getting picked up by a shuttle.  Beside's this website, here are the resources that I've been using:

https://www.redlakeoutfitters.com/\

http://canoeing.com/woodlandcaribou/

http://www.explor8ion.com/canoeing

Joe_Schmeaux  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 1:02:53 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)

As Ben mentioned, WCPP does have permits and fees. If there are quotas, the park is so lightly visited that (AFAIK) they are not something you need to plan for.

The first thing I would do is phone the park office and get a canoe map for the park. They can also give you lots of unbiased advice on choosing a route that matches your needs. I didn't use an outfitter for my three visits to the park, but everyone has their own style, and you will have to decide for yourself. 

There was a big forest fire in the area a couple of years ago, and much of WCPP is probably still recovering from that, so you probably also want a map of the burn area before you get too far into your planning. If it's not on the website, the park office can email you a copy.

Note that WCPP park rules say you must use their designated campsites - it's not camp anywhere like in Quetico.

MP's description of the portages is pretty consistent with my experience. Compared with Quetico's spruce-red/white pine-fir and (some) greenstone, WCPP is more jack pine and granite domes, so trails are generally dry and easy. The landings may be less obvious and there may be a bit more climbing depending on your route though.

One of the biggest differences I've found comparing WCPP to Quetico is the presence of fly-in fishing camps. While Q bans most air traffic, you will see and hear a lot more float plane traffic in WCPP. And while I don't have a lot of experience, it has seemed to me that fishing on WCPP lakes with a lodge or outpost was significantly worse than in Q or on WCPP's more isolated lakes.

Have a good trip!