Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply

Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Attach files to this post...
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Ben Strege Posted: Sunday, August 3, 2014 9:44:42 PM(UTC)

Posting it on your website would be fine. Having the pictures in a zip file would be easiest for me since I only have to download one file instead of each individual picture. However, I can do it either way.

I am leaving tomorrow morning for our Boy Scout BWCA trip and returning the 9th. I will be able to do it when I get back.

Gavia Posted: Sunday, August 3, 2014 9:00:22 PM(UTC)

I've set up a spreadsheet with the filenames of portage landings and a few other portage-related pictures.  How would you like me to send it to you?  I could put it on my website along with the pictures, or some other way if you prefer.

Gavia Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:35:23 PM(UTC)

Thanks, Ben. I think that's the cat's pajamas!
Ben Strege Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:16:29 PM(UTC)

[quote=Gavia;251]Aha! I like how clicking on the portage line works. A different color would cue someone that there's some information there - probably no need to have separate colors to indicate comments, photo, or both. I'd suggest adding a bit of red to make the line slightly orange.
If all you have are web colors, maybe R:255, G:204, B:102 (C:0, M:25, Y:67, K:0).
If you have the full color range, maybe R:239, G:224, B:5 (C:4, M:10, Y:93, K:0).[/quote]

I put in this feature. Portages without information are slightly orange while those with comments or photos are yellow. Let me know what you think.

Gavia Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:52:57 AM(UTC)

[quote=bstrege;263]

I know - the whole photo uploading and editing process needs to be overhauled.

[/quote]

Well, maybe not.  For individual uploads it's just fine.

Gavia Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:46:58 PM(UTC)

We're talking about the same thing. I gather you can link the file names from the spreadsheet to the file names of the photos. That would be cool, and easy for me to do. I'll work on it. I'll include photo titles, descriptions, and dates - all the info that appears when I upload the photos manually.
I'll send you a test when I have it ready.

Thanks!
Ben Strege Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:06:34 PM(UTC)

Or were you referring to something else when you talked about a portage photo database?

Ben Strege Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:05:29 PM(UTC)

[quote=Gavia;269]I tried to set up a portage database using Excel. I can insert pictures but they come in full-size. And of course I can't expand the rows enough to keep the pictures from obscuring at least a few rows.

Would it work if I set up a web page? Using the standard table structure, I could insert pictures and the table would resize automatically. If you think that would work, let me know and I'll do a test.[/quote]

If all we are trying to do is get the photos on this website, just sending a zip file with all of the photos and a spreadsheet with filenames, locations, and dates would be enough. You can add descriptions if you like. A web page would certainly work, too, since I can parse the data and photos from it.

Gavia Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:07:59 PM(UTC)

I tried to set up a portage database using Excel. I can insert pictures but they come in full-size. And of course I can't expand the rows enough to keep the pictures from obscuring at least a few rows.

Would it work if I set up a web page? Using the standard table structure, I could insert pictures and the table would resize automatically. If you think that would work, let me know and I'll do a test.
Gavia Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:03:54 PM(UTC)

You're welcome! It was a nice trip. You'll be paddling upstream so won't be able to paddle the Hatchet Creek rapids, and maybe not the 11-rod portage at the west end of Ensign, but otherwise it should be a good trip. I just hope you don't have a big westerly wind on Ima. That makes the portage to Hatchet Creek anywhere from iffy to downright dangerous. If you haven't already, you might want to read my trip report on that trip (Lake One to Moose) from this past June.