Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply

Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Attach files to this post...
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Ben Strege Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2020 11:23:38 AM(UTC)

I just got done uploading the photos from my last trip. Before the trip, I purchased a GoPro Max, which is a 360-degree camera (both photos and videos). I think it was a success. My 10-year-old son and I covered over 100 miles, visited 43 campsites, made videos of 15 portages, took 436 photos (uploaded about 300 of them), caught some nice fish, and had a lot of fun.

You can find the photos along the route we took. I do not have a way (yet) of distinguishing between normal photos and 360-degree photos. I'll work on that. Most of the 360-photos were of campsites, but I tried to make a point of taking a picture in the middle of each lake we covered.

I also took 360-degree videos of 15 portages. They are on YouTube. Right now I do not have a way to link them to the map, but I will work on a way to add links to locations (not just YouTube videos, any type of link with more information about a place). I tried to only take videos of portages where we were alone, so I missed a couple of portages along the way.

Using the GoPro Max was much, much easier and faster than using the 360 feature on my phone. I did have a panic moment halfway through the trip when my camera said there was a problem with the SD card and had to erase it, but taking it out and putting it back in fixed it.

Chris Hoepker Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 9:02:59 AM(UTC)

Full screen viewing now works fine in Safari and in Firefox! Glad it was possible to fix. I'm looking forward to seeing the middle-of-the-lake 360° photos.
Ben Strege Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 8:54:28 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Chris Hoepker Go to Quoted Post
Terrific feature! Congratulations! I find the 360° feature really useful - stitching problems or not. What I would like to let you know is that with my iMac (2017) running OS 10.12.6 Sierra, I was not able to get the 360° photos full screen in Safari (12.1.2) and Firefox (77.0.1). Using the Chrome browser, I got full screen without a problem. Chris Hoepker

Thanks for letting me know. I'll try it out in Firefox on my computer to see if it works.

I was able to fix it on my computer. Took a little while to figure out what was going on, but the fix was simple. Let me know if it works for you now.

Ben Strege Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 8:20:31 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Chris Hoepker Go to Quoted Post
Terrific feature! Congratulations! I find the 360° feature really useful - stitching problems or not. What I would like to let you know is that with my iMac (2017) running OS 10.12.6 Sierra, I was not able to get the 360° photos full screen in Safari (12.1.2) and Firefox (77.0.1). Using the Chrome browser, I got full screen without a problem. Chris Hoepker

Thanks for letting me know. I'll try it out in Firefox on my computer to see if it works.

Chris Hoepker Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 2:49:40 PM(UTC)

Terrific feature! Congratulations! I find the 360° feature really useful - stitching problems or not.

What I would like to let you know is that with my iMac (2017) running OS 10.12.6 Sierra, I was not able to get the 360° photos full screen in Safari (12.1.2) and Firefox (77.0.1). Using the Chrome browser, I got full screen without a problem.

Chris Hoepker
Ben Strege Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 8:35:11 AM(UTC)

If I purchase a 360-degree camera, I will be taking them from the middle of lakes. With my phone, it is not possible. I have to take about 30 photos standing in the exact same spot; it takes a few minutes. That is not possible from a canoe.

BillConner Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 5:24:36 AM(UTC)

Awesome! I hope you can try one from middle of a lake. Or going up through the reeds in (Q) Isabella River. Maybe im not to old to figure this out.
Ben Strege Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 1:58:53 PM(UTC)

I was on Brule Lake this past weekend with my two boys. I decided to try out the 36-degree photo feature on my phone. The photos turned out pretty well, but photo stitching is not perfect, so there may be inconsistencies such as offset tree trunks, broken shorelines, and fuzzy trees. I think this convinced me to buy a 360-degree camera that will create better quality photos than my phone.

I added a 360-degree photo viewer on the maps and photo albums. A different viewer will pop up if it is a 360-degree photo.

I took photos of all the campsites in Brule Bay and Vernon Lake. I also have photos of 3 other campsites on Brule Lake. You can see the photo albums here:

Brule Lake Campsites

Vernon Lake Campsites

You can also view the 360 photos on the map. Let me know what you think. 

If you have any 360-degree photos that you have uploaded, either respond here or contact me. For now, I need to manually switch from the default viewer to the 360 viewer. There is not a spot yet for you to say what kind of photo it is.