Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply

Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Attach files to this post...
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Ben Strege Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2021 8:15:02 PM(UTC)

I personally do not use a GPS to navigate. I only use paper maps. I have a GPS with me, but I only use it to map portages and campsites, not to navigate. There is also an Export to Image option that allows you to print a map that is any size. (This is a map enthusiast feature.) This is what I normally use as a reference. However, this is not meant for navigation or to replace buying a map from a reputable company. I buy a map and then print out a Paddle Planner map as an extra reference.

If you like using a GPS, I would try to get both the route and the portages/campsites on it. I would use the file that has all the campsites and portages from the Downloads page and then load the route using the Route Only option on the route GPX download.

Jhakala Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2021 7:16:58 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the response.

So what's the best way to use the gps down load?

Print the map/route with campsites/portages. And use the gps as an extra reference. Or just download the route only to a Garmin or gps Device?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the best to utilize this for my needs.

BTW I love the route planner.

Thanks Jim H.
Ben Strege Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2021 10:58:49 AM(UTC)

Old site or new site? You can do it on both, but the instructions are different. For both of them, you need to be a map enthusiast member.

On the old site, when the calculation results show up, there is a button at the bottom that says Download GPX. On the new site, the GPX download button is in the "advanceed features" section that appears when you go fullscreen.

There are two options - the route only or include surrounding campsites/portages. The Garmin Explore website has a problem with the campsites and portages because you usually get an error saying there are too many waypoints, which is why the "route only" option was added.

If you just want waypoints for campsites and/or portages, you can download them from the Downloads page. These files are free.

Jhakala Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2021 8:23:05 AM(UTC)

Hello,

Looking for Info on uploading paddle planner route to a cellphone or Garmin gps to use on a BWCA trip. Has any one done this?
Does it show campsites, portages, etc?

Thanks.