Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bfrlf  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2015 9:09:24 PM(UTC)

Look at maybe doing the Cloquet river from Indian lake to Island lake anyone know anything about it and could inlighten me more. 

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2015 10:53:07 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

This is one that I've looked at doing with my scouts but determined it is just too far for us. What I did research, though, sounds like a lot of fun. If you haven't yet, check out the MN DNR's site about the Cloquet River. There is a map you can download and/or order. The river has a lot of class I and II rapids, which would make it fun to do. The campsites are first-come, first-serve. As far as I know, there are no fees for most of the campsites. (The DNR's map will say if there are fees.)

The DNR has a good interactive map for the water trails, including the Cloquet River. I will be adding the MN water trails to this site soon, but I probably won't have as much detail as the DNR does.

Edited by user Sunday, February 22, 2015 10:57:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
bfrlf on 2/23/2015(UTC)
bfrlf  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 7:51:14 PM(UTC)

Thanks Ben looks like they added a lot more information on this route. Debating on kayaks vs canoeing it might try kayaking it. Simply because 2 or 3 day trip and unknown water depths.
TuscaroraBorealis  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 7:19:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
The Cloquet has long been on my to do list, but for one reason or another I've never gotten around to paddling it.

In my planning/dreaming of said trip; a couple of resources that I found provided some excellent information are - Paddling Minnesota by Greg Breining and the (ring binder type book) Fishing St. Louis County.
AmateurHour  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 2:25:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Anyone know how busy it gets around the reservoirs this time of year? Figuring I'll head up after work tomorrow night and try Boulder Lake.

Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 7:46:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Tomorrow our scout troop will be right across the street at the Horace Johnson cabin on Island Lake! If you see a bunch of scouts floundering around in canoes, that's us 

With the nice weather, it will be a bit busy tomorrow, but hopefully you can find a place to stay. One thing in your favor is that we have not reached the fishing opener yet - and it is opener in Wisconsin, so people will probably be going there.

Our scout troop has stayed at the Buzz Ryan campsites several times. While there were several groups there, I believe there was at least one open campsite every time. I have not stayed at any of the other campsites on Boulder.

Last year my family stayed at one of the paddle-in campsites on Island Lake. It was a good thing that we got there early because we had a few motor boats checking on the campsite.

I have photos of many of the Island Lake sites, and I am planning on adding the Duluth area reservoirs to Paddle Planner sometime.

Blast from the past - the original thread was when I lived in North Dakota. Now I live 15 minutes from Island Lake!

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
AmateurHour on 4/30/2021(UTC)
AmateurHour  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 7:51:57 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Thanks much for the info, and thanks especially for adding those sites. We'll see what time I get on the road today. I'll wave if I see ya!