Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fishguts  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 11:17:50 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

We are going June 10th, we have always been "Wet Footers" , so we wear shoe that drain quickly, one year I wore Soloman's....they worked well but when I tried to buy a new pair , I couldn't find a pair that fit....Keens were my favorite water shoe last time.........any suggestions?

Sponsor
Solotripper  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:40:29 PM(UTC)

I really like wearing toe shoes. Vibram makes some very nice pairs. I bring 2 pair with. One for portaging and the other for everything else. I always try to keep my everything else pair dry. They are lightweight and they fold pretty easy so they pack up small. They dry pretty fast too with a little wind. The soles are thinner than hiking shoes or boots but I've never had any problems with that. The sharper rocks are easier to feel but typically I don't like to step on the sharp rocks anyway so avoiding that is fairly easy.
Oarlittle  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:57:34 PM(UTC)

I have Teva Men's Churn Performance Water Shoe on my list to check out.
Bjammin  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:33:41 PM(UTC)

Does anyone have any experience using Neoprene Mukluk boots that are manufactured for Kayakers?  NRS and Chota seem to be the top two brands out there. 

Looking for a good alternative to heavy GoreTex/Leather boots in the Spring and Fall months

For the warmer months I prefer Chaco hiking sandals on the trail and light hikers or running shoes in camp.  Chacos are great if you have strong ankles and you are not packing too heavy.  Used to use leather waterproof hiking boots for traveling and found that they just will not dry out.  Affraid that may be the same case with the neoprene footwear...?

Thanks

Edited by moderator Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:46:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:07:42 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Bjammin Go to Quoted Post

Does anyone have any experience using Neoprene Mukluk boots that are manufactured for Kayakers?  NRS and Chota seem to be the top two brands out there. 

Looking for a good alternative to heavy GoreTex/Leather boots in the Spring and Fall months

For the warmer months I prefer Chaco hiking sandals on the trail and light hikers or running shoes in camp.  Chacos are great if you have strong ankles and you are not packing too heavy.  Used to use leather waterproof hiking boots for traveling and found that they just will not dry out.  Affraid that may be the same case with the neoprene footwear...?

Thanks

I have always used the heavy leather hiking boots. Since they never dry out, I bring an extra pair of "camp" shoes. My wife and I, though, are looking at the same thing, so I am interested to see what others have to say. My biggest concern would be ankle support. Would the neoprene mukluks have enough ankle support for the rough portages?

Edited by user Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:46:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bradford  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 20, 2014 9:28:18 AM(UTC)

We just returned from a 100 mile loop in cold, rainy weather (temps in the 40s and 30s). We used rubber insulated boots for travel and brought camp shoes. My wife has muck boot "muckmasters" and I have la crosse "alpha burleys". These work great in cold, wet conditions. They have heavy lug soles for traction, are calf high and insulated for warmth. There is a limit to how deep you can wet foot it out before breaching the top of the boot but we never encountered a situation where it was an issue. When waters are higher in the spring it may be more of a problem.
In the warmer months we have used river type sandals - chota, keen, Teva, ahnu - whatever your brand preference is. The trouble with these is the fact that they get slippery in muddy conditions and ALWAYS pick up grit and small stones that lodge between your foot and the sandal making it uncomfortable at best and down right intolerable at worst. We have now switched to Baffin "Amazons" for the same warm weather wet footing application. They are laced like a low hiking shoe, have draining sides, dry quickly and have mesh screen in the soles to also drain water out efficiently. Fairly priced too ($69) for such a shoe compared to other brands that sell for well over a hundred dollars.
Gavia  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 20, 2014 10:33:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Oarlittle Go to Quoted Post
I have Teva Men's Churn Performance Water Shoe on my list to check out.

I had a pair.  They provide no support.  Also, the soles are cut so they hold dirt and small stones, which is OK if you never wear them into the house.

Gavia  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 20, 2014 10:40:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

I've used several kinds of shoes and boots.  One trip I wore the Teva Churns and had some trouble when I needed more support than a slipper.

Then I bought a pair of New Balance Abyss II "tactical" boots.  Problems: extremely tight laces (very hard to tighten and loosen), insoles with arches in the wrong places, very flexible soles (i.e., no support) and zero ankle support.

I've gone back to my Cabela's Gore-Tex snake boots.  They aren't the zippered type and provide great support under the foot and pretty good ankle support.  After a day of paddling and portaging my feet are, at worst, merely damp.  That's assuming I haven't overtopped them.  Now that I've done my last BW trip of the year I'll put the sheet metal screws back in the soles for use on ice.

halvorson.christopher  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:58:48 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Originally Posted by: bstrege Go to Quoted Post

I have always used the heavy leather hiking boots. Since they never dry out, I bring an extra pair of "camp" shoes. My wife and I, though, are looking at the same thing, so I am interested to see what others have to say. My biggest concern would be ankle support. Would the neoprene mukluks have enough ankle support for the rough portages?

Old thread, but worth the reply. 

I have used the http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/footwear/quicklace-mukluk/ for the past 3 years. I had the same concerns about support, but have yet to have any issues. They are very similar to your standard Muck Boots, with neoprene uppers. 

Love them, and our whole May/June fishing group wears some sort of these boots without any issues at all.

Edited by moderator Friday, February 20, 2015 9:30:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

eagle98mn  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:24:24 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Old post, but I'm new here. I figured I would throw my 2 cents in since I agonized over footwear choice before my first trip a couple years ago.

I'm by no means an expert, with only 2 BWCA trips under my belt, but I have been very happy with my Keens + wool socks combo. I think I have the Keen Clearwaters, but the key to making them work is the wool socks. The little grains of sand and grit don't rub and bother me since I have the sock to protect my skin. Of course, every now and then I get larger pebbles in them, but that is usually at the beginning or end of the portage, where a quick shoe rinse is easy. I pack a second pair of wool socks to be my "dry" pair around camp with a pair of flip flops.

The only semi-unpleasant part is pulling on wet socks in the morning if they didn't get a chance to dry out the day before. But being wool, it is quickly forgotten.