Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gavia  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:06:01 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

I added a photo to the west end of the Ahsub-Jitterbug portage but the camera icon doesn't appear on the map.  However, the photo is in my album.  I deleted it and tried again with the same result.

Sponsor
Gavia  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:08:16 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

The same thing happened at the Ahsub end of the Ahsub-Disappointment portage. I'm going to hold off on adding more photos until this is corrected. Am I doing something wrong?
Gavia  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:58:48 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

In fact, none of the other pics I've posted at portages shows up either, although they did. Those lakes are Adventure and Agnes. ???
Gavia  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:02:23 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I've also noticed that the first time I click on a camera icon at a portage, the picture appears. If I close the picture and click the icon again, nothing happens.
Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:45:10 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I fixed the "close the picture and click the icon again, nothing happens" problem. I also added a loading bar to let you know if an image is loading since some of them take a while. Thank you for pointing it out. It's hard for me to find all of the bugs all by myself.

As for the camera icons, I don't add an icon on the map if the photo is of a portage, campsite, or entry point. You can view them through the respective detail pages and clicking on the photos tab. I do this to try to reduce the clutter on the map. Yours disappeared because you initially had the photos close to the portage but not actually "on" the portage. I corrected the location of your photos, which is why the icons disappeared. I often do this if I see a photo is of a campsite or portage.

Gavia  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:53:04 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

So the only way a person can tell if there's a picture of a portage landing is to go into the portage database? My preference would be to click on the icon. That little camera icon (IMO) is hardly clutter; rather, it's a good piece of information.
Ben Strege  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:58:58 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

You can click on the portage on the map. If there is a photo of the portage, the photo icon will be displayed in the popup window. It works the same as the campsites.

Gavia  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:59:29 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Just played around with it a bit ... you have to get deep into the portage database to find out if there's a picture of a portage landing.
The nuisance factor for that is pretty high. I wouldn't do it if I were planning a trip. It would be far easier to see if there's a picture while moving around the map, which is what I'd be doing if I were planning a trip. Now pics of portage landings aren't such a big deal compared to their descriptions. So how about, in addition to adding the little camera icon, changing the color of the portage trail line if a description has been entered? That would be similar to what's done with the campsite circles.

Ben Strege  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:05:59 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Do you have any colors you would suggest? If I use faded yellow to bright yellow, I don't think I would easily be able to tell the difference.

Gavia  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:26:08 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Aha! I like how clicking on the portage line works. A different color would cue someone that there's some information there - probably no need to have separate colors to indicate comments, photo, or both. I'd suggest adding a bit of red to make the line slightly orange.
If all you have are web colors, maybe R:255, G:204, B:102 (C:0, M:25, Y:67, K:0).
If you have the full color range, maybe R:239, G:224, B:5 (C:4, M:10, Y:93, K:0).
Ben Strege  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:26:22 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I'll work on that.

Right now the campsites turn red only when there is a rating. On my last trip, I took a bunch of photos of campsites from a distance but didn't rate them because I wasn't close enough to even really see it. Do you think that a photo (even from a distance) would be enough to turn the campsite red? Or should I keep it that it only turns red when there is a rating? I would end up doing the same thing for the portages.

Gavia  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:43:36 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Thanks for asking. I think the criteria are different. With portages, you don't have a lot of choice so you get what you get, and in only a few cases does what you'll find affect your decision of whether to take that portage or follow a different route. One example is when I heard from a group that the end of the 175-rod portage into Clear Lake was 30 meters of waist-deep mud; I decided to forgo that part of my plan. Otherwise, what matters to me is the landing.

One benefit of knowing what it looks like is to be able to identify it from the water, for example, the unmarked portage leading from Snow Bay to the western end of Lac La Croix. Another benefit is to know whether there's a place to leave the boat. I usually carry the boat first, then the pack(s), so at the end of the second trip across I can put the boat in the water and then drop the pack in it. That way I don't have to lift the pack more than I have to. An example is the portage at the north end of Disappointment Lake, which has nowhere to put a boat. I had to tie it in the water while the wind rubbed it against the rocks while I went back for the pack. If I'd know what it looked like I'd have carried the pack(s) over first.

Admittedly, there aren't many portages where it's important to know either what it looks like or what the trail is like. But in these few cases a picture is worth more than a description of the trail.  And of course, others will disagree.

Campsites are a different story. Unlike portages, there are lots of choices. It may help to know what a campsite landing looks like, but it's far more important to know what the site is like. My #1 criterion is a level tent pad, #2 is whether I can pitch a tarp. A picture won't tell me about the tent pad, but it can be useful for getting a sense of whether the site can be weather-proofed.

So I'd say if you want to treat campsites and portages differently, change the color for a campsite if there's an evaluation, and change the color for a portage if it has either a picture or a comment. But my preference would be to change the color no matter what kind of supplemental information there is.

If your picture of a campsite or landing is from a distance - i.e., it doesn't provide much information - consider not posting it.  It might be interesting to you but will it help the next guy?

Edited by user Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:46:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gavia  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:51:11 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

By the way, I've put up 24 portage landing pics with only 259 to go.
Ben Strege  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:18:56 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: Gavia Go to Quoted Post
If your picture of a campsite or landing is from a distance - i.e., it doesn't provide much information - consider not posting it.  It might be interesting to you but will it help the next guy?

The ones I took were in the Quetico, where it is unsure whether a site actually exists or not. I took the photos to establish that the site is there, so I think they still represent useful information.

Ben Strege  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:21:11 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

By the way, I've put up 24 portage landing pics with only 259 to go.

If you are interested, I could probably bulk-upload them. The info I would need is what portage it is and what end of the portage along with some way to map that information to the filename (whether in a spreadsheet or the photos are named appropriately). It might be easier than uploading them one by one.

Gavia  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:44:09 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Bulk uploading would be great, except that I indicate which end of the portage in the photo title and description. E.g., one shot of the Ensign-Ashigan portage would indicate "Ensign to Ashigan" and the other end would indicate "Ashigan to Ensign." That way it removes all doubt. Now if I could set up a spreadsheet with that information in it, along with filename and date, and you could upload from that, we could be in business. Any chance?
Ben Strege  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:49:54 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Bulk uploading would be great, except that I indicate which end of the portage in the photo title and description. E.g., one shot of the Ensign-Ashigan portage would indicate "Ensign to Ashigan" and the other end would indicate "Ashigan to Ensign." That way it removes all doubt. Now if I could set up a spreadsheet with that information in it, along with filename and date, and you could upload from that, we could be in business. Any chance?

Should be easy enough to do. I might even be able to get the date from the exif data from the photo. Getting the spreadsheet to me would be easy enough. The photos is another matter. There are some sites that allow you to transfer large files. We could use one of those. We'll see how well this works...

Gavia  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:50:54 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

One other little issue. Maybe this belongs in its own thread. In the Pagami Creek Fire area, the cursor appears as a pointing finger. I can't tell if I'm on a portage trail or not, so when I post a picture it goes to the map rather than the portage trail. I have to delete the picture and try again. Help!
Gavia  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:52:26 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Never mind ... I can see that when I right click it says either "lake details" or "portage details." It helps to pay attention!
Ben Strege  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:59:53 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

One other little issue. Maybe this belongs in its own thread. In the Pagami Creek Fire area, the cursor appears as a pointing finger. I can't tell if I'm on a portage trail or not, so when I post a picture it goes to the map rather than the portage trail. I have to delete the picture and try again. Help!

If it is in the wrong location, you don't have to delete the photo. On the photo edit page, you can change the location by clicking on the lat/lng that is displayed. A map will come up on which you can choose the location.

I know - the whole photo uploading and editing process needs to be overhauled.

Gavia  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:04:44 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I might try to set up a portage photo database. The files are small - about 100K each - so it might not be too big a pig for the python to swallow.
Ben Strege  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:23:58 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I'm enjoying all the photos you are uploading. I'm taking my scout troop from Moose Lake to Lake One next week, so this is very timely.

Gavia  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:03:54 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

You're welcome! It was a nice trip. You'll be paddling upstream so won't be able to paddle the Hatchet Creek rapids, and maybe not the 11-rod portage at the west end of Ensign, but otherwise it should be a good trip. I just hope you don't have a big westerly wind on Ima. That makes the portage to Hatchet Creek anywhere from iffy to downright dangerous. If you haven't already, you might want to read my trip report on that trip (Lake One to Moose) from this past June.
Gavia  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:07:59 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I tried to set up a portage database using Excel. I can insert pictures but they come in full-size. And of course I can't expand the rows enough to keep the pictures from obscuring at least a few rows.

Would it work if I set up a web page? Using the standard table structure, I could insert pictures and the table would resize automatically. If you think that would work, let me know and I'll do a test.
Ben Strege  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:05:29 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I tried to set up a portage database using Excel. I can insert pictures but they come in full-size. And of course I can't expand the rows enough to keep the pictures from obscuring at least a few rows.

Would it work if I set up a web page? Using the standard table structure, I could insert pictures and the table would resize automatically. If you think that would work, let me know and I'll do a test.

If all we are trying to do is get the photos on this website, just sending a zip file with all of the photos and a spreadsheet with filenames, locations, and dates would be enough. You can add descriptions if you like. A web page would certainly work, too, since I can parse the data and photos from it.

Ben Strege  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:06:34 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Or were you referring to something else when you talked about a portage photo database?

Gavia  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:46:58 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

We're talking about the same thing. I gather you can link the file names from the spreadsheet to the file names of the photos. That would be cool, and easy for me to do. I'll work on it. I'll include photo titles, descriptions, and dates - all the info that appears when I upload the photos manually.
I'll send you a test when I have it ready.

Thanks!
Gavia  
#28 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:52:57 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: bstrege Go to Quoted Post

I know - the whole photo uploading and editing process needs to be overhauled.

Well, maybe not.  For individual uploads it's just fine.

Ben Strege  
#29 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:16:29 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Aha! I like how clicking on the portage line works. A different color would cue someone that there's some information there - probably no need to have separate colors to indicate comments, photo, or both. I'd suggest adding a bit of red to make the line slightly orange.
If all you have are web colors, maybe R:255, G:204, B:102 (C:0, M:25, Y:67, K:0).
If you have the full color range, maybe R:239, G:224, B:5 (C:4, M:10, Y:93, K:0).

I put in this feature. Portages without information are slightly orange while those with comments or photos are yellow. Let me know what you think.

Gavia  
#30 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:35:23 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Thanks, Ben. I think that's the cat's pajamas!
Gavia  
#31 Posted : Sunday, August 3, 2014 9:00:22 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I've set up a spreadsheet with the filenames of portage landings and a few other portage-related pictures.  How would you like me to send it to you?  I could put it on my website along with the pictures, or some other way if you prefer.

Ben Strege  
#32 Posted : Sunday, August 3, 2014 9:44:42 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Posting it on your website would be fine. Having the pictures in a zip file would be easiest for me since I only have to download one file instead of each individual picture. However, I can do it either way.

I am leaving tomorrow morning for our Boy Scout BWCA trip and returning the 9th. I will be able to do it when I get back.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply