Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Walter Eyed Pike  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:02:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

What's in your first Aid kits? 

Mine--- Band Aids (Various sizes), Athletic Tape, Gauze, ACE Bandage, Popsicle Sticks, Burn Ointment, Benadryl, Advil, Foot Care (Mole Skin), Sewing Kit, Breakable Ice Pack, Tweezers, small flashlight, latex/rubber gloves, small sharp clean knife, super glue, anti-itch, steralizing wipes, Hydrogen Peroxide.

Anything I'm missing that you wish you had and now won't forget?  Anything that I'm missing that you're glad you had?  

Sponsor
overloaded  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:17:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Do you take any drugs with you such as Tylenol or anti-diarrhea medication?
thanks 1 user thanked overloaded for this useful post.
Walter Eyed Pike on 5/18/2016(UTC)
Walter Eyed Pike  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:44:01 PM(UTC)

I did not think about anti-diarrhea-- fantastic idea!  Would make the whole experience far less enjoyable!  THANK YOU!

Will  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 6:47:25 PM(UTC)

I always take a few oxy or "prescribed" pain reliever for major injuries.  Luckily, never had to use it.

BillConner  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:25:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Anbesol. Nothing like a tooth ache to ruin a trip. I have an ace bandage in mine, medical shears (cut through clothing or anything with the blunt end to not stab), and a syringe to wash wounds. Last two learned if their value at wilderness first aid course I took for Philmont.

Safety pins too.
AmateurHour  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:15:37 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Pretty much all of the above plus a lighter, a magnesium bar (in case the lighter craps out), some firestarter packets, a whistle, and a backup compass.

Gavia  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 12:07:52 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
In addition to the usual stuff, I take several Epi-Pens, each with a benadryl tablet inside the case, plus plenty of additional benadryl. Also three splints in different sizes. The second-last thing I need is a sprained ankle, next to appendicitis. At least I can treat a sprain. I haven't found the Acme DIY Appendectomy Kit, though I've heard someone has field-tested a prototype.

Sluggman42  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2016 10:03:08 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I would suggest a CAT (combat application tourniquet). They're super easy to use, we have them on the medic at the Fire Department where I work. And while its unlikely that you'll ever need one, it'd be pretty silly to end up bleeding out due to not having a eight dollar item. With it weighing less than 3 ounces.... can't hurt.
jvermast  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2022 6:45:43 PM(UTC)

Adding my two cents here as I carry the first aid kit for all our trips .... hemorrhoid cream. It's amazing at reducing swelling on any kind of bite. 

Don P  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2022 7:07:31 AM(UTC)

Not too different:

Various size bandaids, mole skin, tenatous tape, steri strips and glue (stitches), antibiodic ointment, tweezers, benidril cream (for bug bites), alcohol wipes, pain meds, benidril pills, amodeum, tums.

bharrop  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2022 8:28:35 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Mine looks like most I do love the hemiroid cream the topical pain killer is fantastic. I did try taking a breakable ice pack but on most trips I would find it broke and would be dead weight that and eggs for me I break all the time