Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tuck46902  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:25:58 AM(UTC)

Does anyone know if the Beartrap River from Beartrap Lake through Sunday Lake and into Iron Lake is navigable?  The entire route is part of the Sundial PMA.   I planning on early June, if that matters...

Also, is there a way to make the Route Finder on this site work within the PMA's?

Thanks!

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 3:17:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I haven't done it, but I think that is one of the more popular PMA routes. I've found this site to be very helpful with PMAs - http://bwcawild.com/

I'll work on getting that route working on the maps. I've worked on it before, but I've never had quite enough information to complete it. I need the locations of portages and generally how much longer the route would take than a typical route.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Tuck46902 on 1/5/2017(UTC)
Tuck46902  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 5:05:35 PM(UTC)

Thanks SOOOO much, Ben! That website is awesome! Am I correct that the first half of June should provide high water levels in this area? Do you think it would be reasonable to plan on getting from Beartrap Lake to Iron Lake in one day?
Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 12:41:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

The first half of June should have higher water levels, but it isn't guaranteed.

Because it is a PMA, the portages are not maintained. The river/creek is choked with beaver dams. I would think that if you made it from Beartrap to Iron in one day, it would be a really, really long one. I think I read somewhere that the last portage into Iron is really tough. I would get a PMA permit and plan to camp on Sunday Lake. 

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Tuck46902 on 1/8/2017(UTC)