Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jhepp  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2017 6:23:16 PM(UTC)

I have been rebuilding my grandfathers old Rushton canoe and been inspired to take it up to BWCA this September once I have it done.  I gave up on that idea because I don't want to risk damage after spending all this time and money on the rebuild.  Anyway, having already gained leave approval from both my wife and work, I am taking a trip from 01 September to 09 September.  Also one of my life goals is to catch a fish in every state and this is my Minnesota outing.  I love fishing for smallies and northern pike.  I have a basic trip route in mind and would like opinions and advice.  Here are some particulars:

• This is 4 dudes, 40s to 50s.  First timers to BWCA
  • ​We'll likely leave Ohio zero dark thirty on Saturday, 01 September, arrive BWCA early evening, presumably at an outfitter to stay the night and rent canoes.
  • Depart Entry Point 22/23, Mudro at first light
  • Make our way to campsite 1566 which is the eastern fork of the south end of Basswood Lake.  This would be basecamp for 6 nights. 
  • Looks like this area has a handful of decent campsites, as well as access to a few other lakes/arms of basswood.
  • I've read that Basswood has decent fishing. 
  •  

To me this is a reasonable first trip into the BWCA but thought I would get some feedback.  Outfitters?  Canoe types/sizes?  Fishing tips?  Camp sites?  Anyone recommend another approach?

Sponsor
Gavia  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2017 10:47:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Outfitter - Voyageur North (I've bunked there a bunch of times - great folks, great service).  Tell Lynn there that Koda sent you.
Boats - a pair of Minnesota IIs or something similarly sized.
There should be plenty of campsites, but if it's busy you should be sure to be at your site by early afternoon. It's no fun paddling around looking for an open site.
Stay open-minded about the site. There are a lot of very nice ones. You'll be looking for roominess, level tent pads with good drainage, trees for setting up a tarp, a decent landing, and a south-southwest view.

I would not put a bunch of greenhorns in at EP23. I think you'd be better off entering at Fall Lake. There are two portages up to Basswood, a bit long but VERY easy. In June of 2011 I entered at Mudro and went up into Horse. Here's what my trip report says about the first portage: "We grind up the steep and rocky [83-rod] portage from Mudro to Sandpit." My partner has been tripping since 1976 and this was my 6th trip, so we were plenty experienced. We agreed it was a tough portage.
After that, you'd take the river to the lower end of Jackfish Bay, which has a 15-rod portage that I haven't done.  But you can get an idea of it from this review: http://www.quietjourney.com/pdb/1/b0337.html

I don't fish so can't help you with that.

Other issues:
Minimize the number of packs so you don't have a lot of loose items to carry. But don't overload yourselves - I'd say a good pack limit is about 50-60 lbs.
Carry a big pack on your back (don't forget to use the hip belt and sternum strap), and a light daypack on the front. The daypack helps balance the load and you can see over it.

For other tips and general information I offer my trip reports. They're on this site as well as my website: http://codabone.net/canoe.htm

You might reconsider a 6-day base camp. Give yourselves a bigger experience and move to a second site after three days, or better yet, move after two days. There's a nice site right at Basswood Falls that I recommend (see my second trip report of Sept. 2011).

Be sure to write up a pictorial trip report. Most of all, have fun and stay safe.

Edited by user Thursday, December 28, 2017 10:54:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gavia for this useful post.
jhepp on 1/25/2018(UTC)
Sluggman42  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 7:13:43 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Jhepp, 

Glad to see another Ohioan headed up north, BWCA might be my favorite place in N. America, and I'm only short 2 states out of the lower 48.  That being said, I'll add a couple things to Gavia's post.

Canoe:  I own a Sourris River 17.5 Prospector and love it for those lakes.  I've never used a Minnesota II, but I've heard plenty of good things about them so that should be fine as well.  Whichever outfitter you go with will certainly know where to direct you. 

As for your trip up/back, if you get the chance, driving through Michigan and the UP in particular is way better from a scenery standpoint than going around through Chicago or Indy....  Not a drastic difference in time either. 

Never been to Basswood, but I've always had much better fishing on smaller lakes vs. the big ones.  That being said, I'm not a serious fisherman, I suspect that you have more experience in that area.   A couple things I will mention about fishing though....  I've been going to the BWCA/Quetico my whole life (30+) trips and I find that the easiest way to fish, especially when traveling is to troll.  Simply clip on a 5.25 to 7inch Rapala, Shad Rap, Spoon, ect and drag it 25-75 yards behind you. Some people use steel leaders as well to keep pike from cutting the line, though since I switched to braided line I've not had a problem. For Rapala type lures, Perch and Fire Tiger will always be my favorite colors.  Standard Silver and Gold typically work as well.    To make trolling easier, use a Rod Holder.  Be aware that they're not all created equal. 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tite-Lok-Rod-Holder-With-C-Mount/699615.uts?slotId=3   Link to the one I use.  The C-clamp fits over the gunwale, and with a small piece of plywood on either side of the canoe it doesn't hurt the Kevlar.  Course you'd probably have to clear it with the outfitter you rent from.  

Secondly, just cause it's a shameless plug for a buddy, and a local Ohio guy, look up Big Joshy Swimbaits.  As I said, I don't fish that much but I've had outstanding success with them, including a 21" Smallie out of Paint Creek in South Central Ohio.  

I'd also agree with Gavia that you should strongly consider moving once or twice, especially on a lake the size of Basswood you have lots of area to see and explore, which is something you certainly want to do if possible.  Additionally pack at least one set of warm clothes, I got snowed on once in the second week of Sept... unlikely, but better to be prepared. 

Have fun and stay safe, you'll be back for sure!

Edited by user Monday, January 29, 2018 6:00:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Sluggman42 for this useful post.
jhepp on 1/25/2018(UTC)
jhepp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:54:24 AM(UTC)

thanks for the advice! Our other boat cancelled so it's just me and a buddy. I am prior Army and have done 3 serious portages in Ontario with a 14' aluminum boat and motor and fuel and food and tackle, so I have carried a lot more weight a lot further back in the day. however, there is a reason I don't do that stuff anymore, lol. I got into the lottery and got a reserved date and also reserved a muskie guide for a couple days on Vermilion. plan is to fish a couple days on vermilion, and enter BWCA on Monday, 03 September which is Labor Day. Hoping that means I am paddling in to the campsites while others are paddling back out the exits, fingers crossed. We also took it easy and will put in at Fall Lake and do the easy portages to set up camp and then maybe move after 2-3 nights if we get bored or aren't finding fish. Debating taking my fish finder, Garmin Striker 4. September could be hot yet and the fish might go deeper and harder to find. I also downloaded the contour maps from this site but wasn't able to open them. If I can figure that out with Google Maps or whatever, I may at least know where the deeper holes are and not bother with the fish finder. I should be able to catch pike cruising the shorelines, points and rock piles mornings and evenings. All in all, its shaping up to be a pretty awesome trip and I literally cannot even wait!!!
Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 6:03:16 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: jhepp Go to Quoted Post
I also downloaded the contour maps from this site but wasn't able to open them.If I can figure that out with Google Maps or whatever, I may at least know where the deeper holes are and not bother with the fish finder.

If you can't get the Google Earth downloads to work, each lake is linked to the MN DNR Lake Finder. That is where the contour maps come from. Just click on a lake on the interactive map and follow the MN DNR link.