Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EdDavies  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 2:33:36 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Watap and Rove lakes, just west of Mountain Lake, have at least three campsites on the Canadian side. Not being in Quetico or BWCA there is no mention of them anywhere I've been able to find. Giving registered users the ability to create a campsite review, complete with pin pointing the location, rating, description, etc. in locations outside the BWCA and Quetico would be both unique and valuable. Perhaps require at least two photos be posted, one from the lake looking at the campsite, and another of the campsite itself, in just these instances to help assure accuracy? Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas on the subject? If so, please do share. 

thanks 1 user thanked EdDavies for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 1/13/2020(UTC)
Sponsor
eagle98mn  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 3:09:55 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Interesting to know. I paddled through there a few years ago, and didn't notice/look for campsites since they weren't on this site. I would have liked to have stayed though! Do you know of any legal way for someone from the US to camp on those sites since they aren't in Quetico? The RABC alone is probably too inconvenient to make this work since there is no ranger station nearby...

Still, if there are campsites there, I agree it would be nice to have them marked for anyone looking - not just Americans :)

If you have the GPS coordinates of the campsites, Ben can add them pretty quickly if he agrees that they should be on the site. I've reported a couple missing campsites over the years that were quickly added.
Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 9:04:24 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: EdDavies Go to Quoted Post

Watap and Rove lakes, just west of Mountain Lake, have at least three campsites on the Canadian side. Not being in Quetico or BWCA there is no mention of them anywhere I've been able to find. Giving registered users the ability to create a campsite review, complete with pin pointing the location, rating, description, etc. in locations outside the BWCA and Quetico would be both unique and valuable. Perhaps require at least two photos be posted, one from the lake looking at the campsite, and another of the campsite itself, in just these instances to help assure accuracy? Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas on the subject? If so, please do share. 

Good suggestion. There is a way to mark a new campsite. It is not as sophisticated as you suggested - it just sends me an email with the location and your comments. Right-click on the place there should be a campsite. Choose the "Add Campsite" option. Add any comments if necessary. Once I add the campsite, you can add a rating, comments, and photos.

Edited by user Monday, January 13, 2020 9:58:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified