Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chris Hoepker  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2020 3:04:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)

While going over some of my old trip reports, I recalled that I've attempted to travel the Cache River twice and failed both times. From Ferguson Lake, we couldn't find the trail to the Cache and from its mouth on Kawnipi we got disgusted by the stinking black water after the first portage.

Has anyone travelled the Cache River? (Either downstream or upstream.) I'd be interested to see if our trials and tribulations would have been worthwhile.

Sponsor
Joe_Schmeaux  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 9:30:35 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I've been down the Cache River twice, both times one-way, going downstream. It is one of the most beautiful areas of Quetico, imo.

I don't recall any "stinking black water", but both of my trips were late June to early July, when there was still some current. Maybe things get more anoxic when the flow slackens off later in the season.

My only trip into Ferguson was from the McKenzie side, so I can't offer any perspective on that portage.

Chris Hoepker  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2020 10:11:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Joe, thanks for your reply,

Since you didn’t portage to the Cache from Ferguson, you must have entered the Cache River from Cache Lake. I’d be interested to know which route you took in reaching Cache Lake.

Being intimidated by the 3.5 km portage from Trousers L. and the 3.1 km portage from Lindsay L., we chose to try for the Cache River via the 1 km portage (#5203) from Ferguson. We never found it, at least not to our knowledge. However, there is now a portage comment by Wally991 who rates it the second most difficult portage in Quetico.

When my wife and I tried to get into the Cache from Kawnipi, I think we failed to get on the proper portage (#5228 with 618 m) and ended up at a small dead water swamp. From your description of the Cache River, I regret that we didn’t look harder after turning back.