Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sluggman42  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2020 7:32:00 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Does anyone who lives in Minnesota and more specifically the BWCA area have thoughts on how the current epedemic is going to affect this years paddling?  I don't see it making a difference if/when you get out on the lakes, but is that going to be possible at all?  I hear rumors of many of the people living in the area not wanting to see the large summer crowds due to the infection possibilites, which I completely understand, on the other hand, I also know that lots of people in the area basically make their living June-August.  

Selfishly I want it to simply be ignored as I look forward to my annual trip more than anything, but as someone who deals with this type of [censored] all the time (FF/EMT) I also get the real life issues.  Any "local" input out there? 

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2020 8:50:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I live in Duluth. I am really, really hoping it does not affect the BWCA and paddling season. I don't think it will affect later in the season, but there is a lot of nervousness about fishing opener in May.

This is a good article discussing the effects on outdoor travel - https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/5013042-Get-outdoors-but-don%E2%80%99t-go-far-Northlanders-face-restrictions-closures

I talked to a friend in Ely the other day, and everyone seemed to have the idea in their heads to go to their cabins in Ely to wait it out. It is a pretty busy town right now (with no hospitals close). 

The stay-at-home order is supposed to end this Friday. It sounds like some restrictions will continue while others might be loosened. I'm staying at home for the forseeable future.

The national parks closing makes me a little nervous about the BWCA, but I think they are on an entirely different scale.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Sluggman42 on 4/6/2020(UTC)
Sluggman42  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2020 10:52:07 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Hopefully you're correct... It's rather ironic.. I'm planning on staying (with a single overnight trip for some of the noobies) at the Kawishiwi cabins. First time I was there I was 2 years old, last time was literally 5 days after 9/11... I was the first person to talk to my parents who had started on the Snake River the weekend before. They had no idea what happened.

That is what in my opinion is what makes the BWCA so special. They went from Sunday to Sunday  (9/11 was a Tuesday)  with not a clue that the world had changed. Hopefully I can pass on a small part of that to my kids, it's pretty rare these days. 

Edited by user Monday, April 6, 2020 10:54:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified