Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply

Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Attach files to this post...
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Gavia Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 5:37:40 PM(UTC)

Channeling Izaak Walton, "The Compleat Canoeist" or compleatcanoeing.com.  Note that a kayak is just a low, double-ended canoe.

jeemon Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 7:28:29 AM(UTC)

Jibwah.com

Means "before" in Ojibway. As in, before you set out on your trip.
jeemon Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 8:49:26 PM(UTC)

Just brainstorming. Not sure if it's helpful.

MotionCanoeing
LaurentianCanoeing
ShieldCanoeing
KettleCanoeing
CentralCanoeing
ShallowArchCanoeing
BentPaddle
Paddle
TandemTrip
PlanFirst
PlanTrace
Portage
DoublePortage
Ben Strege Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 4:44:47 PM(UTC)

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

[quote=Gavia;172]Keep it short and don't emphasize the planning part in the name. It seems unlikely people will use a site much that's primarily about trip planning.[/quote]

So, what should I emphasize? I should probably explain the vision that I have. I'm trying to expand the RouteFinder to other areas besides the BWCA/Quetico. Some areas I'm trying to go to are:

• Sylvania Wilderness Area (basically done, just need to put it on the website)
  • Algonquin Provincial Park
  • Woodland Caribou Provincial Park
  • Wabakimi Provincial Park
  • Atikaki, Whiteshell, and Nopiming Provincial Parks
  • Apostle Islands
  • Allagash Wilderness Waterway
  • Saint Regis Canoe Area
  • Various other small canoeing regions, such as some state parks
  • Some popular paddling rivers

As you can see from the areas, I'm hoping to appeal to both canoeists and kayakers, so I probably need to use paddle or paddling instead of canoe or canoeing. (I'm a canoeist, so I've been very biased towards that.) Some of the areas are more day-tripping than camping, but I think the site will always be mostly about paddle camping.

I'm also working on a trip planning app - packing lists, group coordination, maps, etc. 

What is this site about if it isn't planning? Why do you come here?

I agree completely with keeping it short. But how to do that and still encompass everything this site is and will be about?

[quote=old salt;174]Wildpaddles.[/quote]

Taken. I may be able to buy it, but I don't really want to... Thanks for the suggestion, though.

[quote=Gavia;175]

I like the way this site is being developed.  But I've also been thinking that there may be too many canoe tripping sites.  There's this one, Quiet Journey, and canoetripping.net, not to mention BWCA.com.  I'd leave that last one alone but I could see merging the other three.

[/quote]

I think you missed a few 

Gavia Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 1:12:37 PM(UTC)

I like the way this site is being developed.  But I've also been thinking that there may be too many canoe tripping sites.  There's this one, Quiet Journey, and canoetripping.net, not to mention BWCA.com.  I'd leave that last one alone but I could see merging the other three.

old salt Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:50:28 AM(UTC)

Wildpaddles.
Gavia Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:19:27 AM(UTC)

Keep it short and don't emphasize the planning part in the name. It seems unlikely people will use a site much that's primarily about trip planning.
paddlenutz Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 10:43:52 AM(UTC)

[quote=bstrege;149]

[quote=paddlenutz;148]How about "Northwoods Canoe Tripping," or "Northwoods Canoeing?"[/quote]

I hadn't thought of that one - thanks. The one that we were planning on going with is Paddle Planner. It doesn't limit the site geographically and explains in a short phrase what this site does. What do you think? Is there something I'm not thinking of? I'm planning on rolling out the new name when I add Sylvania in a week or two.

[/quote]

How about "Paddling Adventure Planner", "Adventure Paddling Planner," or Expedition Paddling Planner?"

overloaded Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 7:24:01 AM(UTC)

[quote=bstrege;165]<p>[quote=Gavia;161]</p><p>You want to attract people who go canoe camping? &nbsp;Try Canoe Camping. &nbsp;Canoetripping is already taken. &nbsp;Or you could just expand geographically and call it NACanoeing (North America), or CanoeingNA. &nbsp;PaddleCamp?</p><p>[/quote]</p><p><a href="http://canoecamping.com/" target="_blank">Canoecamping.com</a> is taken - but I can buy it for $2,000!</p>[/quote]

I would offer $500 and see what they say. They are still making good money.

Ben Strege Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 7:04:49 AM(UTC)

[quote=Gavia;168]Scam?
[/quote]

I don't think so - it just looks like this company bought a bunch of BWCA-related domain names in the hopes that someone would buy them.