Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Walter Eyed Pike  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 3:13:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

As I'm sure we've all seen the tragedy that took place in Yesterday's storms--- a thought came to my mind.  What does everyone do out in the wilderness when a storm is rolling it, as it has rolled in, and once it rolls out.  Any Tips/Tricks?

Sponsor
AmateurHour  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 3:52:30 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)
  1. Check the whole site for widowmakers or other hazards before putting up the tent. Also see whether there's any low-lying area nearby just in case there's a tornado AND consider how much water or falling stuff could get in there during a downpour or high wind.
  2. Keep footwear, rain gear, and waterproof stick flashlights in the tent or within easy access of the tent flap.
  3. Get the heck off the water if there's any rumbling while in the canoe (unless the rumbling is from your partner, in which case hope for more wind).
  4. Breathe. Keep as calm and as alert as you can, especially if you're the leader. Know everyone's position and keep tabs on 'em all.
  5. At least keep a good eye out from the tent if winds are very high while it rolls through. If nervous about not being able to see falling stuff, put on the rain gear and find something sturdy to get under/near outside (not outside of the previously scouted area). Visibility may not be materially better, but it can feel better to have the freedom of movement. Don't let anyone wander off.
  6. After the weather calms, check for new widowmakers or other new hazards.

thanks 1 user thanked AmateurHour for this useful post.
Mike Monahan on 7/19/2016(UTC)
jcub  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 6:13:26 PM(UTC)

This topic is very interesting to me. Thanks for the tips.

Storms like what occurred last night are my number one concern when camping in the BWCA. Always remember, you're in a wilderness. It is going to take a few hours at least for you to contact search and rescue/emergency medicine. Then it will take you 30 minutes to an hour to reach a small rural hospital, which likely will only be able to stabilize you and put you in a helicopter; tack on 1-2 more hours. Another hour to get to Duluth, the closest trauma hospital, and you are looking at 5 - 10 hours before you even reach the surgeon who can fix you.

There's no perfect answer to dealing with a severe thunderstorm in the BW. You will inevitably be surrounded by trees, which can snap at any size and also conduct electricity from lightning strike down to the wet ground beneath your feet. The lake is off limits as its another great conductor of electricity and will likely be swirling with whitecaps. An aluminum canoe is a lightning rod. You really have nowhere to hide. The best strategy is going to depend on each individual campsite as no two campsites have the same hazards or opportunities for cover. The broadest advice I could offer is:

Always have a plan.

Know your campsite.

Beware of hot humid days.

Learn basic life support.

I hope nobody reading this ever has to go through such an event, but the climate is warming and these types of storms will likely increase in frequency. Does anybody have any experience/suggestions for weather radios?
AmateurHour  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 9:43:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Looks like I get to practice all of this tomorrow on Sag. Ugh...