Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AmateurHour  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:04:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Swapped out the bulky REI French press on the last trip for an AeroPress that we received as a gift. I wouldn't call it "the smoothest, richest coffee that you have ever tasted," but it was a noticeable upgrade in quality and a ton easier to pack. I can't tie my shoes in the woods without my coffee (why I wear quick-lace Salomons), so it's pretty great to bring. The AeroPress comes with some unnecessary stuff like a funnel and a long-handled scoop, but ditching those takes it down to a cylinder about six inches long by two inches in diameter. It uses little paper filters, but they also pack easily if you can keep track of them. Long-term, I'm curious about whether the rubber gasket will hold up, but a friend has used hers for years with no problem. For now I'll go ahead and recommend this gadget for those who enjoy a cup or two each morning in the woods.
Sponsor
Chris Hoepker  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 10:39:03 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I cook with the JetBoil system and purchased their French press adapter, which consists of the strainer and two rods. This adapter fits the standard insulated 1 liter pot so there is no significant increase in gear volume.

The dimensions of 2 inch by 6 inch sound pretty interesting and if I wasn't happy with what we use now, I'd be looking at the AeroPress.

We've found that making coffee with filtered water significantly improved the taste. Naturally starting with a good coffee is equally important. We bring ours (Moevenpick) with us from Europe, however, very good coffees are available in the USA and Canada as well, but you have to pay around $8 a pound. To one liter of boiled water, I add 5 heaping tablespoons of ground coffee. We think that our coffee on canoe trips is just as good as coffee at home where we grind the beans fresh each time - or maybe the scenery has some influence???
thanks 1 user thanked Chris Hoepker for this useful post.
AmateurHour on 9/7/2016(UTC)
AmateurHour  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 10:58:59 AM(UTC)

Big +1s on the below. The JB press looks intriguing for larger groups when I don't want to make only a cup or two at a time. Just switched over to a wider cookset for our big gas burner, though, plus JB probably wouldn't work with our EmberLit.

Originally Posted by: Chris Hoepker Go to Quoted Post
We've found that making coffee with filtered water significantly improved the taste. Naturally starting with a good coffee is equally important.

Originally Posted by: Chris Hoepker Go to Quoted Post
or maybe the scenery has some influence???

Gavia  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 12:43:00 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
This is camping. I've never understood why Taster's Choice isn't good enough.
AmateurHour  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 1:00:32 PM(UTC)

It packs about the same size as the jar or baggie of instant coffee that I'd bring.
johnnordling  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2022 1:10:45 PM(UTC)

Count me as another upvote for the aeropress.  Even when car camping in a group, it's become my go to coffee maker - takes up less space than a french press and delivers a coffee that I prefer over the somewhat heavier french press.  Sometimes it's my go to at home.  I probably get over 1000 cups out of it before changing the rubber gasket (2-3 c/day brewed at work over a couple years).

For canoe trips - I don't think you can beat it for brew quality and weight.  You're already going to have a pot to boil water, and if you get really dedicated to less weight on a long trip, you could bring a reusable metal filter rather than the paper (I use paper - I would spend too much time fishing the metal disc out of the trash bag every morning after remembering that I forgot it again).

I'm a coffee gadget guy, and i've tried several other tools over the years - I keep coming back to the aeropress.