Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MacCamper  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2016 12:21:40 PM(UTC)

From my house north of Minneapolis to Atikokan is just under seven hours.  However I will be leaving the highway for Beaverhouse entry along the way. For those who have traveled that route, what sould my estimated time be once I get off the pavement.  Thank you,

Mac

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2016 12:32:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I just talked to my outfitter yesterday, and he said they allow one hour from the turnoff. He did say, though, that the road is in good condition; it's just long. Since I'll be going there on Monday, I'll let you know how it went when I get back.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 26, 2016 12:35:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:47:24 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I think it took us about 45 minutes after the turnoff. The main road is in good shape. The longest and slowest portion was actually the last 3 1/2 miles after turning off Flanders Road to the entry. That road was all rutted and rocky, and we had to go slowly.

BillConner  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 6:03:25 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
A year or so ago I discovered that individuals can propose points in Google maps so there is a "Beaverhouse Lake parking lot" you can pick as a destination. I think you'll find through Ft Frances that the parking lot is within minutes the same time away as Atikokan, though less distance. And I just checked it for Atikokan to the parking lot and reported exactly one hour. :)

MacCamper  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 2:17:58 PM(UTC)

Just an FYI, my paddle partner and I encountered dramatic traffic delays through Fort Francis last Saturday coming back from Beaverhouse. 45 minutes to an hour total delay. Other than that it was about seven hours from Forest Lake. A real easy drive.
Mac
BillConner  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 2:51:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Was that US customs delay?
MacCamper  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 3:40:20 PM(UTC)

Asphalt road and bridge work, multiple stops with significant delays. Lots of work in Fort Francis right now. Customs was a piece of cake. Perhaps they appreciated the consternation caused by the road work.