Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MacCamper  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 2:39:39 PM(UTC)

The last day to pick up your permit in Beaverhouse was a little over week ago, or so Sunnybear and I were told when we headed into Quetico.  So, during the off season, when nobody is at the ranger station, how does one procure their permits?  Is it self registration?  Is there a cost involved?  Pay on-line?

By the way, loved the Qiuetico, pleasantly different than the BWCA and an enriching opportunity.  I will be back.

Thanks,

Mac

Sponsor
BillConner  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:28:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
The basic way is self issued and Canadian cash in the envelope in the metal box at the ranger stations. No quotas, just fill it out, take carbon or tab, put envelope with cash in box, and go. I have heard reports that if you call the park office, they might make other arrangements - like credit card over the phone. I do think you could always go to office in Atikokan and pay by any means, feasible if your entering from North. (And tour Sourish River factory next door if there!)
Evans8853  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2023 3:16:15 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Posting this on 04/04/2023 after getting confused with Quetico permit system and their new reservation site.  Hope this helps others that plan for fall trips to Quetico.  I am currently planning a trip with entry through Beaverhouse Lake at Quetico Lake EP on 09/04/23.

For Quetico entry permits for 2023, you can reserve a permit for entry date starting on 05/19/23 and running through some date in September.  The date in September after which you can no longer reserve a permit varies by entry point.  This is not so clear on the Ontario Parks reservation site (but maybe I'm pretty dense, too  )

• For entry points serviced by Lac LaCroix and Beaverhouse ranger stations, reservations are available until 09/03/23.
  • For entry points serviced by Cache Bay, Atikokan and Dawson trail ranger stations, reservations are available until 09/10/23.
  • For entry points serviced by Prairie Portage ranger station, reservations are avialable until 09/17/23.  

Reservations can be made 5 months prior to entry date (although it seemed this week, for some entry points on the Ontario online site, it was 5 months + a few days, so slightly earlier than exactly 5 months).  

For entry dates before 05/19 or after the 3 different September dates above, you still need a permit but can not reserve a permit.  I believe you can "self issue" a permit at the ranger stations if they are closed or if staffed, pay on site and get permit.   I can find no information about when Beaverhouse (or other) ranger stations are staffed/open online.  Maybe someone on this forum knows?  If we have to "self issue" and put money in an envelope at Beaverhouse RS, assume we will have to take Canadian cash along.  Could drive to Atikokan, but would like to avoid that extra drive time, as we'll come through IF/FF border crossing.  

Costs per night for camping in Quetico for 2023:

$21.47 (or $19.00) per adult ($8.48 (or $7.50 youth)) per night for entry points from Prairie Portage or Cache Bay

$14.97 (or $13.25) per adult ($6.50 (or $5.75 youth) per night for entry points from Lac LaCroix, Beaverhouse, Atikokan, Dawson Trail. 

Entry permit quotas for Beaverhouse ranger station entry points:

Cirrus Lake:  1 "Non Resident"

Quetico Lake:  3 "Non Resident" 

Hope this helps someone.  

EE

thanks 2 users thanked Evans8853 for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 4/4/2023(UTC), eagle98mn on 4/6/2023(UTC)