Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MnJohn  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:02:32 PM(UTC)

Wondering what the prevailing opinions re: tarps for the BWCA are currently.  Not specifically looking for anything in particular, just looking for what folks are liking/not liking these days. Thanks!

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:21:34 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I love my CCS tarp. They are light, compact, and easy to pack. I have an 8'x10' model, which works pretty well for solo or 2 people. With a bigger party, though, you'll want something bigger than that.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
MnJohn on 1/29/2017(UTC)
Gavia  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:22:45 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

I'll second Ben's thoughts about CCS tarps.  I'll also add that they have many tie loops which makes them naturals for custom setups.  I have a 10x12 that I've used as a tent.  Another nice thing about these tarps is that they warp on the bias, meaning they aren't rigid like poly tarps are.  I.e., they can be stretched diagonally, which adds flexibility to setup options as well as resilience in winds.

thanks 1 user thanked Gavia for this useful post.
MnJohn on 1/29/2017(UTC)
MagicPaddler  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 7:42:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Asking what is the best tarp is like asking what is the best motor vehicle. I have seen tractor trailers that were terrific vehicles but it headed 2 blocks to the grocery store for a stick of gum they are not what you want. If headed for California with 5 of your in-laws a Smart would not be smart. So you need to ask yourself how will I use this tarp. Will you be base camping with a group or soloing and planning on covering lots of ground? Do you use a continuous ridge line (or support line) or put the stress on the tarp? After you have answered the above questions you can decide on size and strength of the tarp. CCS tarps are well made and out of strong material and in many sizes. There are many cottage venders in the hammock forums that sell lighter weight tarps that are well made but will not stand the stress of the heavy tarps. I have well over 100 nights under my Superfly and it is still in good shape and for what I use it for I prefer it to any CCS tarp but for a dining tarp for more than 3 the CCS would be better.
thanks 1 user thanked MagicPaddler for this useful post.
MnJohn on 1/29/2017(UTC)
TuscaroraBorealis  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 6:53:42 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Another vote for CCS!
thanks 1 user thanked TuscaroraBorealis for this useful post.
MnJohn on 1/29/2017(UTC)
Gavia  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 6:38:59 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

I like MagicPaddler's comments - no, you don't want a 16x20 tarp to put over the latrine.  For that you want a 6x8 model, like I use. :-)

thanks 1 user thanked Gavia for this useful post.
MnJohn on 2/13/2017(UTC)
HowardSprague  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2019 1:22:07 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Another CCS tarp fan here - I have a 10x14, and we had a group of seven once on a Q trip. It rained constantly and kept us at one site for an extra day. Must have been 6" of rain. I had set up this tarp and while it was a little tight, we were able to all stand/sit under the tarp. I still bring it if it's only two people, and then it's downright luxurious.

I also have a Campmor 10x10 which is a good budget/extra tarp to have. Another decent inexpensive one is the Guide Gear one from SportsmansGuide. I have one of those too, but have used it the least. Guess I could just about set up a tarp village and cover some whole campsites! :) And yet I'd STILL like another CCS,....go figure.

AussieShep  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 9:01:23 AM(UTC)

In the last couple of years I have purchased a a lightweight 10x13 Guide tarp for canoeing and a heavy 10x15 Defender tarp for glamping trips. Both are manufactured by Aquaquest in BC and I found them on Amazon. Both have passed the deluge test with flying colous. 

Nice to see CCS still going strong. I remember folks from way back on the Canoe Country Bulletin Board being enthusiastic about Dan's products.